Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much water does 9 mth old need?

Question How much water does 9 mth old need?

My daughter is 9 months old and she is exclusively breast fed (7-8 times) and gets three solid meals(7-8oz) a day. But she doesn't drink enough water. When I try to give her water after her solid, she mostly spits it out. I tried a sippy cup, she sucks it in and then spits it out.

I don't think she is dehydrated but I noticed that her diapers are not that heavy anymore.

Is it OK that she doesn't drink more than 1/2-1 oz of water per day? Or if she needs more water, how do I make her drink it?

Priya

Smile Re: How much water does 9 mth old need?

There is enough water in your breatmilk that she doesn't need to ingest anything other than that. Now that the weather is getting warmer, she may need to nurse more often just like we drink more when the weather is warmer.

HTH

Deb

Default Re: How much water does 9 mth old need?

breast milk hydrates babies.

I don;t think you are exclusively breast feeding if you are giving 3 solid meals a day though.... so maybe some water - like 2 oz would help. Does he drink juice or the likes?

Thanks for the responses.

Sorry, I got my terms confused. I meant that I wasn't supplementing and she was getting only breastmilk in addition to the solids. So how do I give water if she's keeps spitting it out? Should I add more water to make the solids more liquidy? She does not drink any other liquid like juice.

I realize that my milk keeps her hydrated but I'm worried that she is not peeing as much as before... Her diapers are not heavy and I just change her 2-3 times during the day when I used to change her 4-5 times before.

Priya

If your baby is nursing, she shouldnt need any more liquids, even if she eats a little solids.
    Trust your dd and follow her cues. if she spits up the water you give her, then clearly she doesnt need water. if you worry that she's getting dehydrated after a while, try again with a little water, but she may not need it at all. if her diapers are still wet, dont worry if there's less of them at the end of the day, it could mean that she is getting a degree of bladder control - after all, babies grow from birth when they wet a 20 times a day or more to being grown ups who need to go far less frequently than that.
    If she is already sitting up and having less frequent diapers, she might be signalling that she's ready to start sitting on a potty.
    YES, believe it or not, babies can be ready for toilet training by that time, and before the invention of disposables, it was quite normal for babies to potty train at 12 months.
    I have seen women in eastern europe who start to sit their babies on a potty as soon as the babies can sit, after feedings or when they think the baby will want to pee, even as young as 6 months!
    my daughter initiated toilet training at 11 months without any help from me, and by the time she was 15 months, she refused to wear diapers at all. by 2 years she even decided she didn't want the potty, but to go on the big toilet like a big girl, so we got her a little stool to stand on and she goes by herself.