Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shipping Breast Milk

Default Re: Shipping Breast Milk

http://www.thewavemag.com/pagegen.ph...rticleid=22373

This article makes mention of the airlines and breastmilk.

I just finish reading the article. How ridiculous can they get!!

Have you figure out what are you going to do? I'm just wondering.

I need help on this issue too! My baby can't nurse (she has a cleft palate), and I am getting ready to return home with her to Europe. The trip is about 18 hours door to door. I have about 25 10/ounce bags in my freezer that I've stored during her first 6 weeks, and I would like to take them with us--it was such hard work all the pumping, I don't want to lose it!
    The international shippers like UPS and DHL won't ship it, for various reasons. The airline says dry ice is okay in check on luggage. Would I be able to keep it that long in a soft-side cooler, with either dry ice or blue gel ice? Any ideas or advice?

Dry ice works great! I attemped to ship BM once and they returned back to me like a day or two later and everything was still frozen.

Hi, I'm in the same boat... would like to ship 4 day supply back home. Where do you get dry ice?
    Thanks for all the help!

I had this in anothr thread, I don't know how to link it, but I cut and pasted what I wrote below:

1. I bought Uline.com 8oz freezer gel packs (follow the directions on the packs to figure out the gel pack to BM oz. ratio). Uline.com

2. I also bought from Uline.com boxes to fit my coolers.

3. Bought 4 semi-soft sided coolers that advertised that it would keep things cool for two days. (They were at Walmart, clearance because they are getting rid of summer items). Also they would fit in my suitcases; I would just open them up and stuff clothes inside of them. The boxes I bought would also fit if broken down of course. I was also planning on packing the unfrozen ice packs in my suitcase. On my trip, I would not have time to forage for such items at the location; also I am not familiar with the area, so I would not have a clue where to start. So you see, I bought all the shipping material in advance. I also called the airline and they said there was no problem packing the gel packs.

4. Any dead space in the cooler, and between the cooler and the box would be filled with news paper (added insulation).

5. Chose the US Postal Service, Express Overnight mail. For a 5lb box it would be under 40.00 where Fedex and UPS were closer to 60.00 to ship. The only down side to US Postal is it guarantees shipment overnight to arrive by 3:00 pm the next day, where the other two advertises by 8:00 a.m.. So what I did is called my local post office and they said any overnight packages arrive by 12:30, so they told me they would hold the package and call my husband and he would drive over and pick it up ASAP instead of them putting it on their truck again to deliver to the house.

6. I did a dry run by freezing cow’s milk in cheaper bottle liners. Then I packed it as if I were to ship it, left it out at room temp over night, and even left in the window for couple of hours for good measure. We then opened it at 1:00 pm, the time it would actually arrive, and the milk was not frozen solid, it had melted a little. Melted just enough where it no longer adhered to the sides of the bags and there was a little of defrosted milk. But for the most part it was still a whole chunk of frozen milk. So, as long as there are crystals, it can still be put back in the freezer.

Just got off the phone with fed/ex, they are ok with dry ice and breast milk.

In fact she said the fully support shipping breast milk. Their only rule is that the outside of the package clearly states that the package contains dry ice, and how much dry ice. There are certain rules for how many pounds can be shipped in certain size packages. I know that fedex has an overnight service, and even fedex ground which would be 2-3 days would probably work just fine!

And just a quick FYI fedex does ship international.

Quote Originally Posted by ctkubis
    I will be going on a business trip in September for about two weeks. My son will be around six months at that time. I have been researching ways to overnight breast milk, but was looking for feedback from the group from those who have experienced shipping their breast milk back home for baby.
    I know a lot of milk banks recieved and send shipped milk due to a lot of their donors and recipents are outside of their local area, you might want to contact a milk bank and get the information from them, they would be experts about shipped milk.