Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk Blisters? (Anyone have images)

Unhappy Milk Blisters? (Anyone have images)

New mom... 2 1/2 week old daughter

Home birth, immediate latch, baby allowed to find breast on her own and start suckling.

Milk came in on day two with little discomfort, but nipples are very painful (worst when feeding, especially at beginning of session, but sore all the time).

I believe we have a good latch, though she has recently started to lose suction periodically during feeding (clicking sound). However, the pain is horrible and I am about to lose my mind... Razor blades!

I noticed early on a clear little nodule on the tip of my left nipple and assumed this was the "callous" my midwife indicated I might experience, but I think instead this was the beginning of a milk blister that increased in size from a pin tip to about the diameter now of a pea.

The milk doesn't come through this area, it drips (and only drips) from the bottom of my nipple, and the point of the most pain is the bottom of the nipple.

I typically feed both sides and though both sides hurt, the left is much worse. (There are no nodules on my right breast). I have tried various different positions with no decrease in pain during any of them. I'm now trying warm compresses prior to feeding.

I think my newborn may have a good bit of an underbite (my husband received extensive orthodontic work because of his underbite - runs in the family) because I have to continually push the areola in toward her lower jaw (this pressure from my fingers does relieve some of the pain) and I'm wondering of this might have something to do with my pain.

I'm seeking a good picture of a milk blister to compare and determine if that is what I'm seeing on my own nipple. I plan to contact someone from my local La Leche League, but that has to wait until they're available and I need a solution immediately... I'm about to resort to needles in effort to see if the whitish area is indeed a blister that can be relieved by piercing it.

Thanks in advance... I don't want to stop breastfeeding and pumping is about 1/3 as productive (I know it doesn't give her enough.. she is satisfied for about 10 minutes as I'm only able to pump about 30 ml both sides combined). However, this pain, EVERY time I nurse (and even between sessions) brings me to tears and I dread feeding her while feeling compelled to keep her tummy happy at the same time.

Please help.

Default Re: Milk Blisters? (Anyone have images)

Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

It sounds like a milk blister to me. You can drain it with a sterilized sewing needle. Do compressions on the area on your breast behind the blister. Do you have a clogged duct behind it? You may squeeze out a toothpaste like string (like speghetti). Don't freak out if that happens!!! If you have a blocked duct, using moist heat while pumping or hand expressing can help work out the plugged duct.

Nursing should not be painful. Go to Dr. Jack Newman's website: www.drjacknewman.com. Click on "Breastfeeding Help" then "video clips" to see how to get the best latch. Here is something that helped me: Get a straw and watch yourself in a mirror taking a long drink through the straw. Your chin moves down and pauses before you swallow. A baby who is not getting much milk will have a fast sucking pattern (open, close, open, close). Look for the pause showing the mouth is filling with milk.

If you are not seeing this, do not panic. Keep nursing. But also express your milk after baby has nursed to keep up your supply and get to a lactation consultant. This is so fixable! Hang in there!

this might help too..
    check out the other clips too on the right hand side of this link
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...uteHelper.html

Don't be surprised if it ends up being chalky, either. I just got done pumping not too long ago, and every time the pump sucked, my right nipple ached. I took a close look at it and had a clogged pore. Did some hand expression and when it broke free, this hard little rock shot out -- it was like chalk!
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

I was SO SORE for those early weeks even though everyone said henry's latch was good... I think he was doing something funky with his tongue... so the shape of your baby's mouth could definitely be a factor. However, things WILL get better. Definitely get in touch with an LLL leader... they are wonderful! For many weeks I did not believe that bfing could be pain free... but it really can be. Congrats for what you've done so far. Keep us posted.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

i had to take a sterlized needle and pop mine!! it worked and my supply went back up too!! it didnt hurt, just felt weird doing it!! HAHA!!

Good luck

I know what you mean! I was able to lift an edge up with my nail, but even that feels weird. Can't say I've ever scraped skin off my nipple before.

Quote Originally Posted by xoomxoom View Post
    I believe we have a good latch, though she has recently started to lose suction periodically during feeding (clicking sound).
    Breaking suction while nursing and making a clicking sound can be symptoms of an overactive letdown (a.k.a. OALD). Check out http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html for tips on dealing with OALD.