Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: EBM and thrush

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default EBM and thrush

How long is EBM good for when treating thrush? DD and I are both taking Diflucan right now. Is it ok to give her a bottle of milk a couple days after I pumped it? I don't want to reinfect us with thrush, but it would make it easier for us to be able to give her some EBM. It takes me a few pumping sessions to get enough for one feeding.

Default Re: EBM and thrush

Here's an article about thrush treatments and how to prevent it from coming back. Thrush
    The author says, "Expressed milk can be fed to the baby, but milk expressed during a thrush outbreak should not be saved and frozen. Freezing deactivates yeast but does not kill it (Rosa 1990). So if the frozen milk is given to the baby after treatment is completed, it could cause the thrush to recur."

Here's a non-LLL source with other information.
    I have thrush. Can I give baby my expressed milk?

It's a little late but HTH!
    Mary

elliesmom is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Thanks for the links, Mary. I've been wondering about this for a while now. If we could just get rid of the thrush, I would be able to freeze some milk!

Here's another article that may be helpful. It's kind of long (it's geared for Leaders to help mothers) but it has a lot of good information.
    Yeast Infections and the Breastfeeding Family

Mary