Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poop frustration

Default Poop frustration

Not sure where to post this since I am new here, but here goes...It is my understanding that breastfed babies are usually not constipated. My 2.5 week old is having a good number of stools per day (4-5) BUT the amount of strain and effort it takes for him to push them out is alarming. The stools are soft and mustard colored but he grunts and cries as if going to the bathroom is REALLY painful. Is this normal? Given the consistency of the stool I would have thought it would have been relatively easy for him to go to the bathroom. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Poop frustration

my LO has been the same, I spoke to my HV and she told me that Anna could have little pains in her tummy due to colic and it could be those causing the grunts and cries.

I gave her infacol and that seemed to help a little

hope that helps x x

The straining is related to the defecation reflex. You can read more here:
    http://www.babycareadvice.com/babyca...icle.php?id=41

my little one does the same thing. Our pedi told us that it was completely normal for babies to do that. Especially because they probably get some pain in their belly before they go. But sometimes it does worry me too because it just sounds so painful.