Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poop frustration

Default Poop frustration

It is my understanding that breastfed babies are usually not constipated. My 2.5 week old is having a good number of stools per day (4-5) BUT the amount of strain and effort it takes for him to push them out is alarming. The stools are soft and mustard colored but he grunts and cries as if going to the bathroom is REALLY painful. Is this normal? Given the consistency of the stool I would have thought it would have been relatively easy for him to go to the bathroom. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Poop frustration

As they learn how to expell their stool, they tend to over exert. Sounds normal to me.

Oh yes, mine did it too. No one told me it was normal and I got concerned. My mother and mother-in-law had theirs long time ago >=33 yrs. and my sis-in-law 13 years ago. So, they all forgot what it was like. My son is doing fine now, does not struggle as much any more.

My dd has been straining like this when she poops since the beginning. She's almost 6 weeks now and still does it, although it doesn't distress her as much now as it did at first.
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

My 3.5wk old was doing the same thing~ he would get really fussy when he had to poop or pass gas. His stools were also very normal (watery mustard). Letting him suck (on my breast or pinky finger) helped him to "go" without too much fussing.
    Mom to Charlie~ who just took his first steps at 10 3/4 months!
    9lbs 9oz and 22" at birth
    1wk: 9lbs 9.8oz
    7wks: 13lbs 6oz and 25"!
    5 months 2 weeks: 22lbs and 30 inches
    10 months 2 weeks: 27lbs and 33 inches

I had to do the same with my LO at that age to get him to go to the bathroom.. and still do sometimes to this day. (JGM said above)

it will get easier with time. ((HUGS)) just hang in there.

My girl looks like she's going to burst blood vessels in her eyes when she poops! But if you think about it, liquidy poo doesn't give the muscles anything to "grab" onto. Plus babies are often lying down with their legs straight out. Put yourself in those shoes!