Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Safe storage questions

Default Safe storage questions

I've ran into a couple of situations where I don't know how to safely store my milk. Here they are:

1) I pumped a full serving of milk and left in the fridge for my hubby to use while I was out for a couple of hours. When I had returned, my baby was still sleeping and hadn't awakened to eat. However, in wanting to be ready for when she would wake up, my hubby took the milk from the fridge and warmed it in a cup of hot water, and left it on the counter, untouched. It hadn't been on the counter for long by the time I got home. I decided there was no sense in using it since I was home and could just nurse her. I wanted to go ahead and add it to the freezer supply. Could I have done so even after my hubby had warmed it? I wasn't sure, so I simply just put it in the fridge and used it later that evening when we went out to dinner. Didn't want it to go to waste, but didn't want to freeze it not knowing if it would be safe.

2) How do I safely transport previously frozen and thawed EBM? When we go out, we will pull a bag or two of frozen EBM, run them under water until they get to room temp (not warm), then pour them into bottles. (We don't always know ahead of time to thaw a bag of frozen EBM in the fridge for thawing, so we thaw under running water.) We'll put the room temp bottles in the insulated pocket of our diaper bag. Should we actually be thawing the milk just enough to where it's still cold, and put a cold pack in with the cold bottles? Or are we okay to thaw them to room temp like we've been doing and travel for a few hours without a cold pack? I read that fresh EBM is okay at room temp for several hours, but I'm not so sure about previously frozen and thawed EBM. There are situations (like in a packed church service) where we usually pull a bottle out for our baby without going to find hot water to heat it up. Does this make sense? I don't think it's hurting her to do this, but I need to make sure and I need to know how many hours I can travel with thawed, room temp milk.

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Default Re: Safe storage questions

In case 1 it needs to be tossed, cant save it.
    Case 2,Im not so sure. I believe if its room temp a few hours will be okay, but thats it. Im really not sure.

i have always heard one hour at room temp for case two, but if it is still refrigerater temp it can be for up to 24 hours. that woufd be your best bet in my opinion. and i thought that in case one, it could be refrigerated again but not for more than a few hours. no freezing though. i could be wrong. that is just what i thought.
    Last edited by wanting3more; November 4th, 2007 at 10:20 PM.

1) I pumped a full serving of milk and left in the fridge for my hubby to use while I was out for a couple of hours. When I had returned, my baby was still sleeping and hadn't awakened to eat. However, in wanting to be ready for when she would wake up, my hubby took the milk from the fridge and warmed it in a cup of hot water, and left it on the counter, untouched. It hadn't been on the counter for long by the time I got home. I decided there was no sense in using it since I was home and could just nurse her. I wanted to go ahead and add it to the freezer supply. Could I have done so even after my hubby had warmed it? I wasn't sure, so I simply just put it in the fridge and used it later that evening when we went out to dinner. Didn't want it to go to waste, but didn't want to freeze it not knowing if it would be safe.

Right. After it's cooled, then warmed, it's not considered safe to freeze for longer term storage.

Here's some related info:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/r...essedmilk.html

2) How do I safely transport previously frozen and thawed EBM? When we go out, we will pull a bag or two of frozen EBM, run them under water until they get to room temp (not warm), then pour them into bottles. (We don't always know ahead of time to thaw a bag of frozen EBM in the fridge for thawing, so we thaw under running water.) We'll put the room temp bottles in the insulated pocket of our diaper bag. Should we actually be thawing the milk just enough to where it's still cold, and put a cold pack in with the cold bottles? Or are we okay to thaw them to room temp like we've been doing and travel for a few hours without a cold pack? I read that fresh EBM is okay at room temp for several hours, but I'm not so sure about previously frozen and thawed EBM. There are situations (like in a packed church service) where we usually pull a bottle out for our baby without going to find hot water to heat it up. Does this make sense? I don't think it's hurting her to do this, but I need to make sure and I need to know how many hours I can travel with thawed, room temp milk.[/QUOTE]

Best bet is to keep the milk cold until needed. You could either leave frozen or defrost just until over the slushie point.

That being said, one study has shown that ebm is far more robust than what one might think. You can read the outomes here:
    http://www.liebertonline.com/doi/abs.../bfm.2006.1.24