Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEED HELP for BB day 25

Default NEED HELP for BB day 25

I have a few questions on bf. Wondering whether someone can help me to sort out the problems.

1. My bb feed at 10am for 30min. I carry him a little, he fall asleep. Then I put him down, within 10-15minutes, he’ll wake up again looking for the breast. Is he hungry already? Sometime if I carry him for a while, he’ll fall asleep in my arm even though I dint put him to breast. If I put him down, he’ll start crying again. Sometime I put him to breast & he just suck for 5min & fall asleep again. Is it mean that he just want comfort? Or he really needed to be fed? Would carrying divert his need for feeding? Sometime carry him can make him sleep very very long without feeding.

2. I do not know there is such things call growth spurt until I found out about this website. My bb is day 25 today. I was struggering during my 3rd week as suddenly my bb feed every 1 to 1.5 hourly. I thought my milk supply drop & almost wanted to supply him with formula but luckily I didn’t. He’s now still nurse every 1.5 hourly. Wondering when will he get back to normal?

3. Towards evening, my bb suddenly bf very frequent. Almost non-stop for few hours. Then if I m lucky he’ll fall asleep for 2-3 hours after that. Once he wakes up, he’ll feed non-stop also (which mean he feed on one side calmly for few minutes only, then refuse/cry/pull away the nipple. Then I put him on the other side, he did the same. Then I had to change side again). Sometime lasted 2-3 hours & he doesn’t look like he’s satisfied. I m worry whether my supply is meeting his demand?

4. I try to pump out a bit of breastmilk after each feed (heard that this will increase the supply) & pump at the time where my bb suppose to be fed (he used to fed 1.5hourly. sometime he slept a bit longer) Usually I’ll get very little total 10-15ml from both side. Wondering whether my bb will still get enough supply just 10-15minutes after the pumping? (sometime he wakes up right after my pumping session or when I m still pumping) I m afraid not enough milk for bb right after pumping, therefore sometime i dont dare to express too much.

Default Re: NEED HELP for BB day 25

Another question. People keep telling me that a well nursed bb will be satisfied after feeding, play by himself for a while & sleep very long. Thus, when my bb make a fuss, they always said that my milk is not enuf for the bb. That's y he keep waking up or crying. I m quite upset with it. Sometime I get influences by them as well.

jaamommy is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

It is normal for your lo to want to nurse every 1 1/2-3 hrs, bfed babies should get 8-12 feedings per 24 hours. And, they will nurse any where from 5min to 1 hour or longer per feeding. This will change as your lo gets older.

Do you have a local LLL group you can contact?

I hope everything gets better for you and your lo, and good for you for staying commited to bf'ing your baby. And don't let anyone try to make you feel like you can't do it.

Sounds like he wants to comfort suck. That is normal. read this article for more info http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sl...rtnursing.html
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

1. My bb feed at 10am for 30min. I carry him a little, he fall asleep. Then I put him down, within 10-15minutes, he’ll wake up again looking for the breast. Is he hungry already? Sometime if I carry him for a while, he’ll fall asleep in my arm even though I dint put him to breast. If I put him down, he’ll start crying again. Sometime I put him to breast & he just suck for 5min & fall asleep again. Is it mean that he just want comfort? Or he really needed to be fed? Would carrying divert his need for feeding? Sometime carry him can make him sleep very very long without feeding.

If he feeds for 30minutes, he should get enough milk to fill him up. Sounds like your baby just wants to be close to you.

2. I do not know there is such things call growth spurt until I found out about this website. My bb is day 25 today. I was struggering during my 3rd week as suddenly my bb feed every 1 to 1.5 hourly. I thought my milk supply drop & almost wanted to supply him with formula but luckily I didn’t. He’s now still nurse every 1.5 hourly. Wondering when will he get back to normal?
    GP can last from few days to more than a week.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html

3. Towards evening, my bb suddenly bf very frequent. Almost non-stop for few hours. Then if I m lucky he’ll fall asleep for 2-3 hours after that. Once he wakes up, he’ll feed non-stop also (which mean he feed on one side calmly for few minutes only, then refuse/cry/pull away the nipple. Then I put him on the other side, he did the same. Then I had to change side again). Sometime lasted 2-3 hours & he doesn’t look like he’s satisfied. I m worry whether my supply is meeting his demand?
    Counting wet/dirty diapers is

4. I try to pump out a bit of breastmilk after each feed (heard that this will increase the supply) & pump at the time where my bb suppose to be fed (he used to fed 1.5hourly. sometime he slept a bit longer) Usually I’ll get very little total 10-15ml from both side. Wondering whether my bb will still get enough supply just 10-15minutes after the pumping? (sometime he wakes up right after my pumping session or when I m still pumping) I m afraid not enough milk for bb right after pumping, therefore sometime i dont dare to express too much.
    Your breasts will never completely be empty. After pumping if he wakes up and you put him to the breast, how does he behave? http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html
    Try fenugreek and oatmeals to increase milk supply if you think your are having supply issues.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/index.html

5. Another question. People keep telling me that a well nursed bb will be satisfied after feeding, play by himself for a while & sleep very long. Thus, when my bb make a fuss, they always said that my milk is not enuf for the bb. That's y he keep waking up or crying. I m quite upset with it. Sometime I get influences by them as well.
    Sounds like these people who have been giving you advise dont know much about breastfeeding and breastmilk. Breastfed babies dont usually sleep for very long. It is normal for breastfed babies to want to nurse every 1.5 - 3 hours especially at this age, this is becoz breastmilk is easier to digest compared to formula.
    Also, not every baby can self-soothe or entertains himself.

This link will help answer most of your questions. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing.html
    Last edited by selina21; November 5th, 2007 at 11:10 AM.

Just another mom saying to all the previous posts!

My babies also fuss a lot from about 3 weeks to 3 months old. This is normal.

Your baby will start enteraining himself for short spurts later, not now.

Keep him close and nursing frequently and he'll be happy!

Sometimes it's easier not to talk to people about the struggles you're having if they don't know much about breastfeeding or aren't very supportive of it. Some people blame the normal baby fussiness on breastfeeding. Remember: Bottles and formula don't cure a baby's normal age-related fussiness.

Keep up the excellent work!

Sounds exactly like my 6-week-old. She nurses constantly. Sometimes I will carry her around if she is fussing at the nipple. It seems to be what she needs. She will fall asleep, but wake up as soon as I put her down, so I learned to get things done while carrying or wearing her. She always wants to be close. But if she's hungry, she'll let me know no matter how cozy she is. Your baby sounds perfectly normal to me. Keep it up!

Thanks everyone for quick reply. Thanks for the support as well. It is really hard to go on when ppl around u dont support bf.

Selina
    My bb became frustrated if i just pump the breast. He will pull away many many times/ However, this happen when i m not pumping as well. So, i m not sure is it bcoz there isn't enuf milk after pumping or he just simply fussy.

Late nite i need to burse my bb almost hourly. I didnt look at the time but i know very very frequent. Bb fall asleep while nursing, then put him beside me to sleep, not long after that, he cried in frustration, so i need to burse him again. The cycles go on& on until morning. I thought both of us will be very tired. Suprisingly, my bb is very active but i m really tired. Mayb my bb get the sleep during nursing.

Quote Originally Posted by joanjoan View Post
    My bb became frustrated if i just pump the breast. He will pull away many many times/ However, this happen when i m not pumping as well. So, i m not sure is it bcoz there isn't enuf milk after pumping or he just simply fussy..
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

Quote Originally Posted by joanjoan View Post
    Late nite i need to burse my bb almost hourly. I didnt look at the time but i know very very frequent. Bb fall asleep while nursing, then put him beside me to sleep, not long after that, he cried in frustration, so i need to burse him again. The cycles go on& on until morning. I thought both of us will be very tired. Suprisingly, my bb is very active but i m really tired. Mayb my bb get the sleep during nursing.
    How long has this been going on? It could be that she is just going thru a growth spurt and needs to feed more frequently.

How long does she feeds at night? Is she falling asleep at the breast? If she is you can try tickling her feet/cheek to get her to stay awake and nurse until she is done.

You've come to the right place for help and support, the ladies here are wonderful. You've made the right decision to BF your little baby, dont be influenced by what the people around you are saying.

My bb started to behave like this at day 18 of life.

now he's day 29 oledi, i still need to nurse my bb almost non-stop towards evening. Sometime i can really feel the breast is so so soft & yet he still want to be fed. At that time, he really frustrated, pulled off very often. i tried to change side, can make him calm a while, then he start pulling off again/fuss & cry. At that time, as usual i'll thought my supply not enough. but i just keep going. Usually by midnite he will be settle. but again in the nite, he want to b fed hourly to 1.5hourly. He poo & pee very good. So, i think he's getting enough. But whenver he did that, i felt very "down" again.

Today, he did that in the morning also. Luckily just for 2 hours & settled by carrying him walking around.