Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacifiers..

Default Pacifiers..

ok, i have a BIG fear of pacifiers and bottles screwing up our latch and breastfeeding relationship...so much, that i plan to BF a year...without ever offering a bottle...(unrealisitic?) i dont want a pacifier to cause any problems either, but DD seems to nurse and nurse and nurse. she ends up just falling asleep at the end of the feeding and when i put her down, she wakes and is unconsolable, so i nurse her again.she falls asleep again and the routine continues. Especially in the evening, she will do this for a good 4 hours straight. I am sure she isnt hungry, just wants to nurse to sleep, and i have no doubt a paci would solve that problem but im too scared !! is it best just to avoid them altogether and nurse nurse nurse? Dh think im nuts, for having her on there ALL the time..

she is 3 weeks old as of yesterday..any advice would be helpful..

Default Re: Pacifiers..

You're not nuts. Many breastfeeding moms do use pacifiers without problems, but some have used one and lived to regret it. IIRC, LLL recommends waiting until 5 weeks or so to introduce artificial nipples, as the risk of nipple confusion goes down as the baby gets older and breastfeeding becomes more established.

If she just turned 3 weeks old, this nonstop nursing is probably at least partly due to a growth spurt. They generally happen at 10 days, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, and 3 months. In my experience, the older the baby, the longer the growth spurt lasted.

Hang in there -- you certainly aren't doing anything wrong by nursing and avoiding pacifiers. It's hard work! But this intensity won't last forever.

If you can learn to nurse in a sling, you might be able to latch her on, feed her, and then get up and do other stuff while she naps at the breast. Just getting out for a walk or going grocery shopping or something like that can break up the monotony of those marathon nursing sessions.

--Rebecca

This is just my personal experience... My dd has had a very strong need to suck since she was born. We were not planning on using a pacifier for the same reasons you mentioned, but ended up changing our minds before we left the hospital. Unfortunately, the staff at the hospital offered her a NUK type pacifier which she never took to and didn't ever get the hang of. When we first saw her pediatrician after we got home from the hospital, she asked why we had that kind of pacifier, saying that the nurses were supposed to give Soothie brand pacifiers to breastfed babies. That afternoon, I went and purchased the Soothie brand and she has loved it ever since! She has never had any trouble with nipple confusion. I know that every baby is different, but I just wanted to let you know that the Soothie has worked best for us. Also, before she was born, we got lots of different pacifiers as gifts. We've tried all of them, and she refuses all of them but the Soothie. Good luck!
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

Well I will tell you that you are not unrealistic. I have never used a pacifier or bottle - although not for not trying...lol. When dd was born i had a whole line of pacifiers and bottles lined up - nada - she won;t do it. She is 8.5 months now and uses a sippy cup with water now. So I have bf at the breast the whole time because i had the availability to do it - and she won;t take anything else.

To be honest - i think some of the smartest moms get that baby on a bottle and brfeast early on so they can go out for an afternoon alone and the baby can still eat

I say don't set yourself up to fail - have goals - but don;t be heart broken if you need a binky or a bottle - once nursing is established nipple confusion should not be an issue.

You are not unrealistic LOL. I have never given my kids a paci, mainly cause I have seen more than one mother "clean" the paci that hit the floor by poping it in thier own mouth then poping it in the kids mouth. That is completely disgusting to me LOL. But my baby girl is 2 1/2 and she has never to my knowledge had a bottle or paci.

The hospital gave us a Soothie pacifier, but that was only because I went back the day after I was released to get help with BF (I was having a lot of problems). We used it only in emergencies and only after we tried everythng else to soothe her. She also never had it at night when it was bedtime or in her bassinet. She loved the pacifier for about 3 weeks, and now she really won't even take it. However, she has recently discovered her thumb, so she usually soothes herself with that. I've also given her a bottle since about one month, because I don't feel comfortable breastfeeding in public. She's never had more than one bottle in one day.

The only problem that I've had is a reduction in my milk supply, because I didn't pump on the days that she had a bottle. So, as long as you can maintain your milk supply, maybe you won't have any problems. You might as well try it and see what happens. If you start to have problems, you can go back to the way you had it.

aimee- how old was your dd when she found her thumb? my dd is 10 weeks and tries and tries to get it but is usually unsuccessful so far!
    ~Jaden Mae 04-05-06~
    --Self-weaned at 21 months--
    ~Avery Lynne 11-27-08~
    --Self-weaned at 23 months--
    ~Elise June 02-12-11~
    --Nursing like a champ--

when is nursing considered to be established anyway??

Is it *guaranteed* that when nursing is established and you give a bottle or pacifier, that baby wont get nipple confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by MarcieLynne
    aimee- how old was your dd when she found her thumb? my dd is 10 weeks and tries and tries to get it but is usually unsuccessful so far!
    She's two months now, and she just found it last week. So, I guess between 7 & 8 weeks. She's been trying since around 2 weeks. Sometimes she struggles to find it, and she cries really hard when she loses it (almost like someone took it from her...it's funny!). I think she just figured out how to hold her hand so that she could suck on the thumb. Her new thing within the past three days is sucking on MY thumb. But she'll only do it if my thumb is upside down in her mouth. She pretty much refuses the pacifier now, especially if she's crying. Sometimes I'll give it to her if she's sucking on her thumb, because I'm afraid of her having a habit of sucking her thumb. My cousin's daughter is turning three in a couple days, and my cousin is still struggling to break her of sucking her thumb. She even tried sewing mittens on her shirts, but nothing works.

Quote Originally Posted by valleygurl
    when is nursing considered to be established anyway??

Is it *guaranteed* that when nursing is established and you give a bottle or pacifier, that baby wont get nipple confusion?
    Nothing is guaranteed. The best way to ride this whole "New Mom" thing is just roll with it and DO NOT get too attached to anything that you consider a pattern or routine. That will only set you up for confusion and frusteration. My DS never wanted a pacifier beyond the 1st days in the hospital but I was very conscious not to offer him one exccept during emergencies because I didn't want to deal with trying to take it away from him later. (Like when he's two) When he was your DD age we only nursed (The rule of thumb is not to introduce anything else until the 5 week point anyways)but around 6weeks I discovered he was quite happy to suck on my finger for and hour after he fed to go to sleep. That was what we used instead of pacifier until he was 4months old. At which point he started turning his head and crying if you tried to put your finger in his mouth. So now We're exclusively nursing again to get him to sleep. Whatever..
    Now right at 5wks I began pumping because while I have every intention of BF my baby until he's at least a year (or when ever he decides to self wean) I have no intention of never being able to be away from my child for any length of time. So we used to consistently pump every morning and my husband would feed him one 4 to 5 oz bottle every evening. Now he doesn't always want /need that bottle so now I only have to make sure there's enough for when I want to actually leave the house. Which happens a couple times a week. But in class today another mother like me who's grown kinda lax with it has discovered now her baby won't take the bottle! It happens.
    So there are no for sures about nipple confusion but if you follow the guidelines which are basically about not letting your baby have a bottle before they learn to really work/express your milk (becasue drinking out of a bottle is easier) and not curing their urge to suck with a pacifier because in that 1st month of life both you and the baby really need to practice and they're busy regulating you and your supply. I wouldn't introduce a pacifier now because there's a growth spurt at three weeks and she needs to suck to get that amount of milk to produce. But in a few weeks you might reevaluate. If not the pacifier thing maybe a bottle. Somewhere in the 1st eight weeks most of us hit a wall around needing some "ME" time and space. EBM can work nicely to help with this time. Ultimately you'll do what you think works best for you and your family. I think at three weeks I still slept with my hand on his chest all night to make sure he was always breathing. You'll get wherever you and your baby are headed and it may not be where you thought you'd end up! Congratulations on your little one.