Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My daughter is refusing my right breast!

Default My daughter is refusing my right breast!

I have an 8 week old daughter who has until recently been nursing fine. I started noticing that my right breast was becoming engorged frequently. Every time I put my Akina to the right side to nurse, she would scream and refuse. She doesn't even try to nurse on that side now that she knows she'll drown in my milk. Let down hurts and I immediately start leaking all over the place. As soon as I let down, she starts screaming and refuses to eat. She'll even become so upset she will not want to nurse at all and it takes a lot of patience to get her back.

The engorgement becomes so painful so I pump the milk out but I worry that this is encouraging that amount of milk to continue being created. I pumped 4.5 ounces from the right side in a very short time. Do I continue pumping like this or will that encourage oversupply?

Her stools are kind of green and mucousy so I worry that she's not getting enough hind milk.

She is very plump and healthy as well.

What is block feeding? I am already back at work and having to pump 3x per day which is going well. How does block feeding work with a full time working mother?

Does block feeding reduce milk supply? I nursed my first child for almost 2 years so I'm not used to having trouble!!! I don't want to have to give up. Please help!

Default Re: My daughter is refusing my right breast!

Can you just pump enough off the right side to decrease the engorgement and then offer her the breast? My daughter periodically refused my left side when my milk first came in because of engorgement. This was the only way I could get her to take the left side for a couple days. Also, you can definitely get into supply problems by over pumping. I'm trying to figure all this out myself, so I'm sorry I can't offer more advice. Hopefully, someone else will. Hang in there!
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

Default Re: My daughter is refusing my right breast!

Quote Originally Posted by Maya's mama View Post
    I have an 8 week old daughter who has until recently been nursing fine. I started noticing that my right breast was becoming engorged frequently. Every time I put my Akina to the right side to nurse, she would scream and refuse. She doesn't even try to nurse on that side now that she knows she'll drown in my milk. Let down hurts and I immediately start leaking all over the place. As soon as I let down, she starts screaming and refuses to eat. She'll even become so upset she will not want to nurse at all and it takes a lot of patience to get her back.
    When you feel the let-down coming, could you remove your baby from the breast and allow the milk to spray into a diaper or towel? Once the initial let-down has passed, the force usually slows significantly.

Another option would be to nurse in the side lying position (the excess can drip out of the corner of baby's mouth) or nurse with baby lying prone on top of you, and you reclining back in a recliner or on a stack of pillows. In this position, gravity slows the flow of the milk, and baby can allow the excess to drip out of her mouth.

The engorgement becomes so painful so I pump the milk out but I worry that this is encouraging that amount of milk to continue being created. I pumped 4.5 ounces from the right side in a very short time. Do I continue pumping like this or will that encourage oversupply?
    You are correct. Pumping will encourage the production of more milk. You might find this resource helpful:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/oversupply.html

Her stools are kind of green and mucousy so I worry that she's not getting enough hind milk.
    Block nursing can help!

She is very plump and healthy as well.

What is block feeding? I am already back at work and having to pump 3x per day which is going well. How does block feeding work with a full time working mother?

Does block feeding reduce milk supply? I nursed my first child for almost 2 years so I'm not used to having trouble!!! I don't want to have to give up. Please help!
    Block nursing is when you nurse on one breast for a "block" of time. So, if you're nursing on one side for three hours, everytime your baby cues to nurse, you would put her on the same breast for that three hours. If the non-nursing breast gets uncomfortably full before the block is up, you would hand express or pump *just enough* for comfort.

Block feeding does reduce overall production (eventually).

If you're pumping at work, you might find that block pumping works or single pumping vs double (pump one breast at a time).

Here are two more resources you might find helpful:
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVSepOct95p69a.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/fast-letdown.html (non-LLL resource)

HTH!