Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: stressing over weaning

Default stressing over weaning

Hi, I am a mother to a beautiful 8.5 month old girl. I have exclusively BF her and have cherished the time together. She will not take a bottle or any formula at all for that matter. For the last two months, she will take water from a sippy cup but if I put any EBM in, she won't drink it.

My problem is that in a few months, I return to work and can no longer BF. She nurses 3 times a day (sometimes 2) and is eating solids. I am trying to stop one feed at a time, although she is fighting me on it.

The biggest problem is that she uses me to fall asleep and she wakes 3 - 4 times a night to nurse. How could I do that when I am back to work.
    I need a tearless solution for me and baby. Any suggestions?

Default Re: stressing over weaning

When you give the expressed milk is it fresh? Can you list all the ways you have tried to deliver the milk, and who does the feeding?

Hi,
    I have tried bottle feedings with my daughter since she was a few weeks old. She has never taken to a bottle. We have tried her father feeding her, her grandmother, different locations, different times, I even bought a bottle that looks like a Breast (Breast Bottle by Adiri) and she would not take it. I think I can nurse until she is close to a year old and then be able to switch to cows milk in a sippy cup. She will take water from a sippy cup.

My concern is the night time feedings. How can I get her to fall sleep without using me to nurse?

Hmmm,
    You know, from your tone it doesn't really sound as if you actually want to wean. If you could make it work around your schedule would you still want to nurse? Or are you really done?
    I would like to explore some of this with you, but my one year old is trying to eat the cat. I will come back when I have more time. In the meantime, I am sure people will chime in with some helpful information.

With my DS I only nursed morning and night when I went back to work at 3 months. Although he took formula fine when I was gone. From 6-12 months I only nursed him at bedtime. I'm sure it wasn't a meal, but it was a nice bedtime snack for him. It kept us connected especially after being apart all day. I never pumped for him.

I'd continue to BF if you can until a year and then maybe drop all but bedtime and give cow's milk during day.
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

Its really hard to start weaning I hated that with my first child. Its a very sad and frustrating time for everyone. Good luck.

Thanks for the thoughts. It is true I love to BF my daughter. It is such a special time between us. I hate to stop that but I also want a little more freedom now. I feel better just reading the responses. Thank you.