Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how to wean from the pump

Default how to wean from the pump

My LO is going to be one this month and I'm ready to wean. I use to pump six times but dropped that to five because I was on the verge of giving up. Just dropping that one session helped me make it to my one year goal.
    I've always had a great supply except during that time of the month and get engorged pretty quickly if I don't pump.
    Any tips on weaning from the pump and preventing my breasts from get hard and lumpy? In the past, if I didn't pump properly I would get plugged ducts. I don't want to go through that.

Thanks friends!
    Proud mother to Xavier Brian

Default Re: how to wean from the pump

If you give your self a month to work on it and reduce the amount of milk you pull out gradually things will go smoother for you.
    Do you night nurse?

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    If you give your self a month to work on it and reduce the amount of milk you pull out gradually things will go smoother for you.
    Do you night nurse?
    No, he sleeps through the night and I finally so do I
    Proud mother to Xavier Brian

I have heard you can either keep the same schedule but pump less at each pumping time OR you can delay pumping time gradually (like an hour) until it is closer to your normal next pumping time until you eventually can cut out one of the pumping times.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)