Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help...Days without let down!!

Unhappy Help...Days without let down!!

I"m starting to get a little freaked out. I've been having difficulty with pumping lately...and it's not getting any better I pump 3xs a day at work for my ds, but for over a week now I am struggling to get a let down when I pump and am subsequently getting very little milk. So far today I can't even make a full bottle for tomorrow and I have little left in the freezer due to past milk supply issues. I am so worried that I am getting to where I will have to wean him and I desperately want to make the 1 year mark at least...we are at 8.5 months. DS has been nursing less lately becuase he is just so distracted with all his new abilities and mobility!!! I try to put him on the breast as much as possible, but now I"m worried that maybe my supply is getting so low that he isn't getting satisfied and is rejecting it. Now with not getting a let down when I pump I'm afraid my supply is going to totally dwindle. Any suggestions would be great. I have gone through numerous supply issues, but have battled them all..but this one has me really freaked out! I love BFing and my son has done really well health wise...never sick and totally smart and happy!! I don't want it to end.

Default Re: Help...Days without let down!!

What kind of pump are you using? Pumps are designed with parts that wear out. Some people use a pump through multiple children and some need to replace theirs or have it repaired with only 1 child. I would recommed taking your pump to an certified LC to have it tested to make sure it hasn't lost its effectiveness. Hugs to you, I hope you can overcome this!
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

I have let down issues with one of my breasts during pumping, and I found that using heat and massage on that breast works best. Like a rice sock or warm/hot wash cloth. I also have to totally relax myself and completely clear my mind of anything stressful.

The other breast works like a faucet...go figure.

I had the same problem, was totally freaking out about it, which probably made things even worse. I rented a hospital grade pump for a few days to see if it was in fact the pump that wasn't working anymore, but that didn't make things better. I ended up learning how to manually express the milk and getting at least some milk with that for a few days while at work, and pumping each time while my daughter was feeding at home to take advantage of the 'automatic' letdown. Also started taking fenugreek to help with the milk supply. Massaging the breasts, drinking some hot tea right before pumping (the a/c in our office is so cold!!) to make sure you're warm also helps. In the end, after almost three weeks, things suddenly got better, and now I'm back in business, successfully pumping three times a day. I think more than anything, knowing that with hand expressing and pumping at home on weekends and at night I would still get more or less enough milk took some of the stress and pressure away.

Good luck!
    Anke

Thanks...I'm also tring to change my pumping schedule a little. I was pumping differently during the week from what ds's weekend nursing schedule is. I'm hoping that helps. I just feel horrible because today ds's bottle was an ounce short. You would think that I was starving him...but it's the one of the two bottles (the other is formula since I really can't pump enough) that he actually sucks down!