Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pediatrician recommending cereal at 4 months...

Thumbs down Pediatrician recommending cereal at 4 months...

I'm really not happy about this. My pediatrician mentioned at my daighter's two month appointment that he'd like me to introduce cereal when she's four months old. I'd really prefer she not have any solids before she's ready, and four months seems awfully young.

I'm not crazy about this particular pediatrician anyway, so I'm switching, but really, is it necessary to try and introduce cereal that young? I'd also prefer to introduce actual food, not just cereal, for her first food (I'll be making the food myself) when she's ready for it, not because the doctor thinks it's time.

Any advice, support, or thoughts?

Default Re: Pediatrician recommending cereal at 4 months...

Don't do it. Your instincts are on target. Your pediatrician has outdated info and really, how will he even know if you do it? You are in control, and you are choosing what is best for your baby. I wouldn't even argue, just smile and nod and keep doing what you are doing.

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I switched pediatricians for the same reason... she had formula samples, ads and such all over the office; had no clue about bf-ing and told me to start cereal at 4 months. I told her that she wasn't even following the recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics (which says exclusive bf-ing for 6 months at least) and that there were signs that I should be looking for before I started solids and my 4 month old baby wasn't doing any of them. I told her I'd be finding a new pediatrician.

Your instincts are dead on the money, in other words.

Jacqui

I think that most peds rec. starting at 4 months. Ours does, but he only offers feeding SUGGESTIONS. When he talked to us about solids at our 4 month visit. He basically said that we could do whatever we felt comfortable with. We offered DD solids at 6 months when she was showing signs of readiness. She is now 7 months and it just now getting the hang of it.

Basically, I would say wait until your DD is showing that SHE is ready for solids. Check out the LLL page and kellymom.com for more information. You can also try wholesomebabyfood.com!

HTH

I think that is one of the other reasons I'm switching... my pediatrician doesn't give me suggestions... he tells me what to do. He also told me to start vitamin supplements this month, which all my research tells me is unnecessary. He's just too old school, and too quick to intervene... for pete's sake, at her 6 week checkup, he was talking about supplementing with formula if she hadn't gained enough by two months! Well, we showed him... she's in the 90th percentile for weight, thankyouverymuch! The fact that he completely ignores my husband when we go pisses me off as well.

Thanks for your support. I just am not comfortable with him... and I only chose him because he was the one that checked out my daughter in the hospital. No emotional attachment whatsoever.

Oh, and thanks for the link, Kim! That's exactly what I needed!

Hi,

My sons pediatrician didn't recomend cereal till 6months which was a relief. But I did have to fight the sitter on it. She was a constant. I also wanted real food. But when we tried they began getting constipated so we did start oatmeal ceral instead of rice. It has worked out great. They are now 8 months.

Most bf moms, lactation nurses, LLL leaders, and doctors will tell you all your baby needs is your milk till and sometimes beyond the 6month age. It all depends on the baby.

Good judgement call. Finding another doctor sounds like the right thing to do.

Good luck!

Don't feel obligated to start with cereal either. Here in Europe, it's veggies. They feel strongly that cereal displaces too much bm and is "empty" calories. Rice is also an allergen (although my ds tolerated the white rice powder, the brown gave him a rash). We started with zuchini (sp?) and green beans. That worked great and wont affect your supply.

I actually started my other two at 7 mos and that was much easier. I was sure they could sit up unsupported.

I say (coming from a "medical" family) if a ped is so outdated on basic information, you can imagine how outdated he is if something "real" (G-d forbid) happens to your child.

Good luck finding a new one who's more up-to-date!
    Sharon

I feel very luck to have found my pediatrician. She is so happy that I'm brestfeeding and says I don't need to force food; she says my dd will eat when she's ready.

Hope you are as lucky with your next ped.

Sara