Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cluster Feeding after midnight, NEED HELP

Default Cluster Feeding after midnight, NEED HELP

Hello Everyone,

I am a new mom of a handsome 4 day old baby boy. He weighs a lil' over 5 lbs and is 19" long. All his test results indicate that he is ahelathy boy.

So far I have had no problems with him except his feedings.

He feeds at an interval of about 3 hrs during day time, but, during night time, beginning 11pm he tends to want to nurse every hour until 7am and has 3-4 dirty diapers during this time. At night his palette seems relatively dryer and he signals his nursing needs by crying and sucking his own fist.

The room temperature during night is around 72 degrees, the humidity is around 70-75% and is controlled by a humidifier.

Is this normal feeding schedule? Is there a way to regulate his night time feeding?
    Last edited by Bhumi Gupta; November 3rd, 2007 at 08:00 AM.

Default Re: Cluster Feeding after midnight, NEED HELP

he just has his days and nights mixed up very normal...
    Did he do that when he was still inside?
    I know all of my babies were quiet during the day when I was up and moving around but as soon as I laid down to go to sleep that was play time.
    feeding more often on demand during the day will help to "tank him up"
    its normal for a new born to want to nurse 12 times in 24 hours its just natures way of building your milk supply.
    Hes young! heres a link that might help
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/schedule.html

Like the pp said it maybe a day and night confusion. So lo just like to suck... it's ok!!! Stay encouraged
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

could have been the nurses in the hospial too... they love to play with the babies when the moms are all asleep there is nothing else to do....

that can not be possible as he was in my room ever since he came back from his first bath.

My placenta ws in the front so I could not make out his movements most of the time so m not sure of his schedule prior to birth.

How can i change his schedule? in the night he demands to b fed every 40 minutes. I m not sure why he does that. Is that normal?

Guess I m beign over concerned. After his delivery he did not have his first poop untill a lil after 48 hrs and now, being 4 days old he is pooping about 6+ times a day.

He is so new, too new to really worry about any long term day/night confusion Hes seeing light, feeling touch, smelling new things....no wonder he wants to experience it all.

Encourage as much daylight as possible during daytime. Go out for a walk, open all the curtains, etc. In the evening shut the curtains, dim the lights, calm the house down.

You're doing fantastic Mama!! Its hard to be so tired, but it will pass!

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)