Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low milk supply at 9 months

Default Low milk supply at 9 months

I'm a full time working mom and pump about twice at work. I pump in the morning when I first wake up then 2 times during the day and nurse lo before he goes to sleep. Between my 3 pumping sessions I get enough for one feeding or a little more.

My LO has a hearty appetite, eats solids for breakfast lunch and dinner and milk. Including my commute time, I'm away from him 12 hours. He drinks 24 ounces with the sitter.

On the weekends I just nurse him and I increase his solids to satisfy him. He seems content which confirms how sucking gets more milk out than my pump at work. However, he seems more content when his getting more milk as he does during the week, while I'm at work.

At this point I'm not sure if I should just offer him my breast during the morning and night then feed him forumla for when I'm away from him. I don't feel full anymore and feel I can go my time at work and not feeling uncomfortable.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Low milk supply at 9 months

Hi ,

Pumping at work is not just about expressing milk--it is also about maintaining your milk supply. If you choose to stop pumping, you may see an overall dip in your milk supply.

You might be interested to know that a lot of WAHM's experience a reduction in pump output between 6-12 months. Here's a link with a lot of helpful, practical suggestions: www.llli.org/FAQ/pumpwork.html. Try what seems like it would work for you.

It is a good idea to increase the amount of time your baby spends nursing when you are together, and to reduce or eliminate solids when you are together. Baby's daycare provider can feed all of baby's solids for the day. It is important to note that solids should be in addition to, not in place of, breastmilk throughout the first full year of baby's life. Your milk is still the ideal food for your baby.

HTH. Hang in there!

Tiana

My son will also be 9 months, in 6 days. I have noticed a decrease, but I think it is from his picky nursing. He really does not have anything but mommy milk. Could his weird nursing schedule be the problem?? He will nurse for a few minutes on one side, I will try to switch him, but he usually is not interested. Then he goes 3 to 4 hours!! Maybe he is getting more than I think

Can you pump at least one more time during your work day? I would nurse DD before I left for work, pumped at 9am, noon and 3pm. I was home by 6pm or just a little after.

I also drank a ton of water during the day and eating oatmeal can help your supply. My supply took a HUGE hit around 6 months, which I think was the result of a crappy pump and introducing solids.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

I just wanted to say hi, no advice as I don't pump. :wave Your little boy has grown up SO much. He's adorable.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Quote Originally Posted by mommy2nickmichelewyatt View Post
    My son will also be 9 months, in 6 days. I have noticed a decrease, but I think it is from his picky nursing. He really does not have anything but mommy milk. Could his weird nursing schedule be the problem?? He will nurse for a few minutes on one side, I will try to switch him, but he usually is not interested. Then he goes 3 to 4 hours!! Maybe he is getting more than I think
    This actually doesn't sound like a reduction in milk supply to me. Babies can become very efficient at the breast at this age, taking in a full feeding in just a few minutes. If he is exclusively breastfeeding and having plenty of diaper output, it sounds to me as though your milk supply is very good.

Tiana

Tiana:

How efficient are babies at 6 months? My little guy seems to get cranky after nursing for a short time.

I wasn't sure if he was:

--Full
    --Annoyed with nursing after getting bottles during the day (I work outside the home)
    --My milk was low

What are your thoughts? And, anyone else's on the board!

Quote Originally Posted by Emma_Finn View Post
    Tiana:

How efficient are babies at 6 months? My little guy seems to get cranky after nursing for a short time.

I wasn't sure if he was:

--Full
    --Annoyed with nursing after getting bottles during the day (I work outside the home)
    --My milk was low

What are your thoughts? And, anyone else's on the board!
    Well, it depends upon what you mean by "cranky". Does he...

--Actively suck and swallow for a few minutes, pull off the breast, and then get frustrated when you offer to nurse more? That probably means he is full.

--Does he seem to have problems latching? Or, maybe, he becomes frustrated if your milk doesn't "let down" immediately. That could be due to the bottles.

--A fussy baby who is demanding to nurse "all the time" could be trying to increase mother's milk supply, or he could simply be teething, or overwhelmed from a long day of separation from mom. In any case, nursing baby frequently during the evening hours will probably help, and certainly can't hurt.

Does that help?

Tiana

He nurses, then pulls off crying. So, I think that he may be frustrated by slow let down.

Thanks so much, you helped a lot.

You're welcome. So glad to be helpful.

Tiana