Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Successful breastfeeding but poor pumping

Default Successful breastfeeding but poor pumping

My baby is 2 weeks old, the breastfeeding is succussful but when it comes to pumping, very little or nothing is coming out. I pump using Medela in style and also tried Lactina medela. Please help.

Default Re: Successful breastfeeding but poor pumping

I personally was never able to get more than an ounce or two before my kids were four months old. Hopefully someone here can help you. I just wanted to tell you good luck and keep trying.

Smile Re: Successful breastfeeding but poor pumping

Do you have to pump so soon? You should try exclusively BF for at least the first six weeks to get a well established milk supply, pumping at this point could harm that. A pump is only a fair imitation of the sucking action that your child produces to maintain continual milk supply. I have a Medula product also. If you are feeding the baby, then pumping after, you will be lucky to get an ounce. Personally, what I did was after the six weeks of exclusively bf, I would stop feeding my son on one breast at around 3:00 am, so that when I got up I would have about 4oz to pump from that breast and freeze. So again, I would hold off on the pump until six weeks and pump in the morning.

If I pump when I first get up in the morning I can get the most (between 3-4 oz. from both breasts). But the rest of the day I only get 1-2 oz. from both.

I think that's perfectly normal especially when you are feeding your baby. I wouldn't worry.

I also have the Medela in style. When I do give my son a bottle of expressed bm I can pump about 3-4 oz depending on how long I wait since the last time I fed him. I believe they say to wait 1 hr. after you have feed the baby to pump. Since my son is not much of a napper, I try to get that morning pumping session in. Hope that helps!

Pumping is not an accurate gage of what you are producing for your baby. Some women are good at pumping and some are not. I think that it is a learned skill to be able to pump. As long as your baby is having the right amount of wet/poopy diapers then I would not worry about it. If you have to pump in order to go back to work then I would keep trying, but please do not be discouraged when you do not get a lot.

Thank you for all of your replies. I am glad I am not alone!