Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Preparing solids for 9 month old

Default Preparing solids for 9 month old

My LO has tried almost every stage 2 and 3 foods, but I like to to include some mashed food prepared at home to lessen the amount of artifical flavored food he gets through gerber and beech nut...

What foods do you offer your LO?
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Preparing solids for 9 month old

Is he really 9 months old already??? WOW!!!!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

I take a banana cut in half and then the halves into quarters so he has banana sticks to munch on, he loves that and its easy also sweet potato "french fries" that I bake with a littlespray oil so they get just crunchy enough they don't droop a lot KWIM? For a snack I use the wagon wheels from gerber (apple) or cheerios or the dried cubed apples. Oh, and crackers (club) are his fav carb!
    Danielle

Mom to Gage 12/28/06

Wife to Trinity 6/21/03 my best friend

ed for year, finally done!!!!
    for more than a year now!

I was thinking two 9 months time flies...
    You can use any table food that baby has already tried...
    The only thing I ground up was meats that were to hard to mash.

We hardly ever mashed anything for my youngest. We just started giving her little carrot sticks and apple slices to hold & chew on. Solids at this age are more for experience and taste than for nutrition, so it doesn't matter if they don't actually consume anything. My little one would gnaw on the food and then occasionally get a piece off to suck on for a while, then she'd often spit it out if it was too big and she couldn't break it up enough to swallow.

I read a great article about starting solids, and the basic idea is that spoon feeding ends up being kind of like force-feeding b/c you put the food behind where their tongue thrust is, and they have no choice but to swallow. If they are feeding themselves, then they are in charge of the experience.

9 months? It seems like yesterday!!!

We offer real oatmeal, mashed avocado, pieces of steamed sweet potatoes, pieces of banana, pieces of wheat-free bread, and anything else that is soft we offer in cubes or pieces.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

jaamommy is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by danlynclark View Post
    9 months? It seems like yesterday!!!

We offer real oatmeal, mashed avocado, pieces of steamed sweet potatoes, pieces of banana, pieces of wheat-free bread, and anything else that is soft we offer in cubes or pieces.
    What kind of wheat-free bread do you buy, every type of bread that I look at at the grocery store (even white) has wheat in it.

Quote Originally Posted by jaamommy View Post
    What kind of wheat-free bread do you buy, every type of bread that I look at at the grocery store (even white) has wheat in it.
    Its made of Brown Rice. I buy it from our health-food store. Some stores keep it in the freezer or fridge section. The first brand I got was sweetened with fruit juice, and had a more crumbly texture. This one is wheat-free, gluten-free, sweetening-free and is more bread-like. Almost the consistency of an english muffin. He LOVES it. He always wants our wheat bread, but it gives him a rash. Although its expensive, its worth it to see him enjoy it.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I feed our 9 mo old jsut baout everything we eat. She eats meats, veggies, fruits, bread, bagels, tortillas, etc... I jsut make her without seasonings. I don't mash anything up anymore. I just cut it into sticks or small peices and let her have at it. She LOVES blueberry eggo waffles for breakfast. Also yobaby yogurt with oatmeal is another favorite!
    Proud wife to Pete, 5-9-04
    Proud 1st time mom to Lilly 2-1-07 born at 36 weeks, 5lbs 1 oz, au natural!

http://www.lillybugdesigns.com
    Handmade accessories for mom and baby
    All made with love, and by hand[/COLOR]