Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Very Disheartened....please help!! (sorry, very long)

Default Re: Very Disheartened....please help!! (sorry, very long)

I glad you found us!

I was going to post a link - but andrea has done it first.

It is NEVER too late!

How are things going with BF?I had a very difficult time in the beginning and my husband was doing the same with formula but I really wanted to BF. I was ready to give up, but then she finally latched on. Has anything changed since your last post.How are you doing now? We are all here to help!!!!!!!!!

main hot line number usa...

1-877-4-LA-Leche

are you in the us?

glad you are here to help!

You came to the right place - and you're doing a great job! The pps said what I would have: take away the formula and you will start to produce more. Plus, the pump doesn't show what's really in there...

Have confidence in your body - that it can and does produce what your LO needs. Women today receive the message that their bodies are somehow faulty and unable to provide for their babies. SO NOT TRUE!!!!

And good for you for resolving the ILs situation early on!

Good luck...
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

hello again ladies.

firstly, thank you so much for you help, sincerely. this could take me a while to type as i'm typing one handed lol.

basically i fed Anna at 8.30am for about 45mins. She went to sleep at about 10.15 and slept through until 12.30pm. i got her dressed and nappy changed, a kiss and cuddle and fed her at 1pm until just before 2pm. she was wide awake and a little grumpy (i think it was colic getting to her) tried to put her down for a nap but she wasn't interested. she had a smaller feed at about 3pm-ish and lay on my lap for a little while showing signs of wanting to nurse. normally i would've given a bottle and put her to bed but i just let her feed from me. she then slept on my lap until 7.30pm-ish. i started feeding her again at 8pm but she started getting very fussy and pulling and chewing my nipple (which is now killing me!!) needless to say i persevered, (i really think if i hadn't posted earlier i would have given a bottle by now!! you guys have been great x) she came off herself and daddy changed her nappy and she's back on now.

i pumped after the two longest feeds but got very little. in saying that, because i haven't given a bottle yet, hopefully it's telling my body to make more.

my left nipple is SO sore but i'm trying!!

i have two more questions....

1. by letting her sleep on me will it mean that she won't get into a routine ever? and is this starting a bad habit?

2. how long should i let her feed on one side (when she's off and on regularly - cluster feeding) before giving the other side?

regarding telephoning a leader, i was going to before and didn't because i felt like i would just be told to persevere, but now i will definitely be calling them!! the 02893 number you gave me is actually in the town i live which is great!!

i don't know what to say other than thank you all so much. i feel more confident and happier about everything, it's all thanks to everyone who has replied. Plus, i am so proud that i have avoided formula today so far!!

x x x x

Sorry I should've finished that sentence properly. I meant that my IL's said that all the leader would say was 'just keep going' and they wouldn't offer much in the way of solution so I would be better topping her up.
    Sorry that's my fault, didn't finish what I was saying x x

It sounds like you are at least *feeling* better about things, which is great! It sounds like it is going pretty well. From your description, it doesn't sound like she was taking all that much formula (in relation to breastmilk) anyway, so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting rid of it altogether. Definitely call the leader! Nothing can match personal support.

Regarding your earlier question about pumping, yes you can pump after a feeding to help increase your supply. However, you may not need to do too much of that since your LO is already getting most of her nourishment from breastmilk. Nursing when she's hungry is the most important thing. You may even try offering the breast more frequently in the earlier hours. If she's not interested, that's fine, just wait and try again in a bit. Most infants need to nurse about 8-12 times (or sometimes even more) in a 24 hour period. When you are trying to increase supply, you want to aim for the upper end of that range.

You are doing a great job! Keep us posted on your progress.

Smile Re: Very Disheartened....please help!! (sorry, very long)

Hi,
    Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with getting breastfeeding going. Did you know there is a La Leche League group in Carrickfergus? The next meeting is this Friday Nov 9th at the Oakfield Community centre at 10-30 am. There is also an LLL Leader in Carrick who would be glad to talk to you. She might even be willing to give you a home visit. See the LLL Ireland website or LLLGB website for her details. All the very best. Sallyd.

I just thought I would give you all an update on the feeding.
    Last night I ended up giving her a bottle (well my hubby gave her it and I went to bed. I was utterly exhausted!) I was happy that I managed to drop at least one formula feed so didn't (or tried not to) beat myself up about it.
    I've decided to call the LL leader tomorrow and see if she can come to my home (I'm a bit shy and would feel very awkward in a group situation)

Feeding has been going quite well today and I think that I will try and lose the second FF tonight. I'm not looking for miracles so if I can end the day only giving her one FF then I'll be happy. If I can lose FF altogether then I'll be ecstatic!!

Feeling a lot more positive today so hopefully tomorrow will be even better x x