Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: smelling like maple syrup

Default smelling like maple syrup

If I'm taking fenugreek and I don't smell like maple syrup, does that mean I'm not taking enough?

Default Re: smelling like maple syrup

I think that may be the case. I took 3 pills 3 times a day and started smelling like a walking pancake on about the third day. From what I have read if you do not smell like it...then you body is not absorbing enough.

I took it for several months with no real increase in my supply and no maple syrup smell. Then someone on these forums suggested taking more and I slowly increased until taking 6 of them 3 times per day. I do smell like maple syrup but am not seeing any massive increase in supply. Others have suggested that this high dose is safe but I'm not sure there's a point to it if the supply isn't greatly affected.

Quote Originally Posted by KaylazMom View Post
    If I'm taking fenugreek and I don't smell like maple syrup, does that mean I'm not taking enough?
    Correct. You have to smell like syrup to see a noticeable difference. I worked w/ my IBCLC to get the correct dosage which turned out to be 7 pills 3/day. Now I'm able to maintain with 5 pills 3/day. You might notice a bit of gas/runny poops with your baby if you take this amount. It went away with my own LO after a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacey'sMom View Post
    Others have suggested that this high dose is safe but I'm not sure there's a point to it if the supply isn't greatly affected.
    I think the fenugreek works great for some moms and not so much with others. Have you been removing the milk often from your breasts in addition to using the fenugreek? The herb won't work alone- you really need to increase the amount of nursing and/or pumping. When my supply took a huge dip I was nursing as much as possible then I rented a hospital grade pump and pumped 20 minutes 6 x's day. Now that my supply is back up I'm not pumping anymore but just maintaining w/ the fenugreek.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

I dont know how, but Ive never heard this before