Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Am I giving enough solids? 2 Questions!

Exclamation Am I giving enough solids? 2 Questions!

LO is nearing 7 mths.

1. For the past month, he has been getting 1 2.5oz jar of baby food each day at lunch, alternating between step 1 veggies and fruits. The rest of his meals have been bm only. I think I may start adding some diluted juice every now and then. But is this enough baby food?

2. I RARELY do rice cereal because I can't get enough extra milk pumped to use. Should I be doing more rice cereal, maybe mixing it with water or juice since I don't have enough bm?

I am worried that he won't be getting enough vitamins, iron, etc. So all thoughts are appreciated!

Default Re: Am I giving enough solids? 2 Questions!

Quote Originally Posted by alston's mama View Post
    I am worried that he won't be getting enough vitamins, iron, etc. So all thoughts are appreciated!
    With the bf you are still doing he is getting all of the vitamins he needs! My LO hardly ate anything more than yours is until she was almost 8-9 months old. I just slowly added things to her meals and they'll eat what they want to. And as far as cereal goes, my LO hated all of them, so she never ate any of them. She's healthy as can be!
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

LO is nearing 7 mths.

1. For the past month, he has been getting 1 2.5oz jar of baby food each day at lunch, alternating between step 1 veggies and fruits. The rest of his meals have been bm only. I think I may start adding some diluted juice every now and then. But is this enough baby food?

2. I RARELY do rice cereal because I can't get enough extra milk pumped to use. Should I be doing more rice cereal, maybe mixing it with water or juice since I don't have enough bm?

Here are my thoughts --

Your breastmilk is the primary source of vitamins, iron, etc. that your baby needs for the first year. A lot of babies don't take any solids for that long and they thrive.

(This may be controversial, but I'll put it out there anyway ) BUT there is some evidence that after 6 months or so, breastmilk may not have enough iron for breastfed babies. Some breastfed babies become anemic without solid foods rich in iron (like enriched cereals an breads, some veggies, and some meats). You can ask your doctor about testing for this if you're concerned.

So any solids that you do give are more for fun and experience than anything else. If you want to give more and your baby doesn't object, go for it! If you want to skip a day or two, don't worry about it! Here's kind of how we did it, to give you an idea:
    - 6 to 7 months - solids once a day, spoon-fed (purees, rice cereal mixed with water)
    - 8 months - solids twice a day, some spoon-fed, some finger foods
    - 9 months - no more spoon feeding (this is tedious for me and I may skip it all together next time around!), finger foods twice a day
    - 10 months on - table food three times a day

My favorite part about giving solid foods is it gives my babies something to do while the rest of the family is preparing and eating dinner. One of my favorite parts about my babies being breastfed is that I don't have to worry about bringing a full meal of solids with us when we're eating away from home.

A quick warning about juice - it's basically baby junk food, doesn't really provide anything substantial, except maybe vitamin C. My first little girl got addicted! It was more trouble than it was worth.

Sounds like you're doing great and figuring out what works best for you and your family. Keep it up!
    Last edited by mpoulson; November 2nd, 2007 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks! That example you gave about what you did with the ages helps. I guess we're doing okay! It's just those baby food packages I read..."Your child needs 5 servings of veggies/fruits a day and this juice provides one serving" type of things

hows babies pincher grasp?
    You could try a cold cereal like o's or puffed rice.. just watch that they don/'t have added sugar.
    Many babies that age love to feed themself.
    my last 3 babies I let self feed.
    http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html

Thanks! That example you gave about what you did with the ages helps. I guess we're doing okay! It's just those baby food packages I read..."Your child needs 5 servings of veggies/fruits a day and this juice provides one serving" type of things
    I struggled with this for a while too. And then I got a little pamphlet in the mail from Nestle Goodstart (I know, I know....) Anyways, it gave a "sample menu" for 12 month olds, and my baby isn't anywhere near that. I freaked out about it for a couple of days, but then I decided that he will let me know if he needs more. He is still nursing round the clock, so I know he's eating!

Don't worry about the amount at this point. If you are still BFing, the solids will fall into place.
    Amber, mama to

Henry 11~13~06
    Allergic to dairy, soy, egg, peanut, all tree nuts, wheat, barley, potato, chickpeas, pea

Georgia & Miles 7~7~10

yeah when the pamphlets put out by the formula company you have to kind of worry about what it says.
    And of course gerber wants you to use 5 jars of food a day!

heres a realy old link so some of if might not be so true anymore but when you use jar foods you realy have to watch what you are getting!
    http://www.cspinet.org/reports/cheat1.html

Thanks for the articles. LO can pick up tons of stuff, but I don't know about little bits of food. I got him the fruit/veggie puffs that melt in your mouth, but I am afraid he will choke so I make them into tee-tiny bits so small he can't even begin to pick them up. Maybe I'll let him try a whole one.

Have you taken a 1st aid corse?
    the red cross has them all the time around here.
    Or try your local high school they might know who has them in your area
    Knowing what to do when baby is choking realy helps.

Babies that are breastfeed normaly have a realy good gag reflex
    they will get things up that will not go down.
    hey you know your baby best! Try not and 2nd guess what you are doing!

thoose puffs melt so fast he should be able to eat them with out much trouble.