Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 week old not sleeping, please help!

Default 7 week old not sleeping, please help!

She just will not stay asleep during the day at all. I have tried everything I can think of. I know that you're supposed to wait 20 minutes at least until you set babies down. I waited 30 or more and then went to lay down on the bed with her, as soon as we layed down she started to rouse so I nursed her and she fell back to sleep for a few minutes and woke up, she started to fuss and is now awake. She has not slept all day, she sleeps well at night, although last night she didn't fall asleep until 12 and woke up at nine, after only sleeping a couple hours yesterday. She likes the bouncer but as soon as I stop bouncing her she is wide awake. I have tried swaddling, taking her in the car(she just screams), bwing( I have a moby and she will sleep in it for about an half an hour and then wake up screaming), I don't drink caffeine, she seems happy otherwise. She never falls asleep on the breast and I can not nurse her to sleep, I must carry her around bouncing and dancing with her. And only when she is completely exhausted will she stay asleep when I lay down with her, thus the 12 o'clock beditme last night. Please if there is anything I havent thought of feel free to suggest. I would like to get things done, but am constantly having to hold her or bounce her. I have a 22 month old also and my house in disarray.

Default Re: 7 week old not sleeping, please help!

Do you have a swing? Haley started having major nap issues right around the same age, and the swing was the only thing that worked. She still naps in the swing a lot, which is going to be a challenge for me soon since she's getting too big for it. Maybe a swing would give your LO the motion she's looking for and give you some free moments. Besides that, just know that babies' sleep patterns are always changing, especially at such a young age. We have been through just about every phase possible in the last 6 months. It doesn't help you much right now, in the moment, but it's likely that this phase will pass into something else in time. So hang in there! I feel your pain!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Wow, you could have been writing about MY son! Also 7 weeks and not sleeping during the day. He was awake for 11 hours yesterday! And these eleven hours are not happy alone awake hours. They are bounce me, hold me hours. He screams in the swing. As soon as I set him in it, he begins screaming. The one thing that worked a few days ago was to lay him on his side in the swing. He only slept for 20 minuted but at least he wasn't screaming.

He's sleeping great at night but just like you...my house is in disaray. I also have an older child that needs attention. And a farm. The animals need at least two hours of my day. That's when ds goes into the sling and out we go. The sling really is a lifesaver.

I keep thinking to myself..."This too shall pass..."

Thank you so much for responding, it helps so much to know that someone else has BTDT or is going through the same thing. I was just thinking before I got on here that maybe something was wrong, it's nice to know that it is somewhat normal. I was just telling my husband tonite that we're going to have get batteries for the swing, I never used it with ds, he hated it, but I am praying she likes it. Thank you so much, I will just have to ride this out.

my second son was like that all of the time he would not sleep during the day and half the night but he grew out of it and i also but him in a swing it seem to help

Hi! My LO is almost 10 weeks old, and she has also not been a big fan of daytime sleeping. It does get better - hang in there. What a difference the past few weeks have made. She didn't take any naps at all (aside from cat naps on the Boppy between virtually continuous nursing sessions all day long) until 2 weeks ago, give or take. Now she does take a 1-2 hour nap in the afternoon most days.
    All in all, she gets about a total of 9-10 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period - most of it between 9pm and 7am.
    We spoke to the pediatrician about her sleep patterns today at our visit. She said that, while most books, etc. recommend 14-16 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period, every baby is different. She gave our daughter a clean bill of health and assured us that she is not sleep deprived.
    So, try to ride it out, is my recommendation. Your LO will adjust as needed. Just try to stay sane as best you can, and watch lots of DVDs and read lots of books while nursing!
    I'd also recommend reading Harvey Karp's book The Happiest Baby on the Block, which was recommended to me by other moms here. Try his techniques if your baby seems tired, but just won't settle in to sleep. Good luck!
    Last edited by ea1973; November 6th, 2007 at 09:44 PM.
    and lots of cloth diapers!

Estela Kimberly, born August 31, 2007 and Sasha Julia, born September 3, 2010

Not that this is what you want hear, but some babies won't sleep for a long stretch of time...

What's her night time sleep pattern like?

Here's
    a link with nap info that may be helpful...(but this does seem to be for the older babies/children)

Here's a link with some info on sleep you may find helpful...

Here's a link to some sleep study info.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

What sooths my baby back to sleep is a pacifier have u tried that??? If she dosent take it I put a litle mylacon on it so she'll start sucking on it and she goes to sleep on her own.

Have you tried a bath and a swaddle before nap time? My daughter loved swaddling. It was what finally got her to take naps in her crib instead of on me!