Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: one year checkup comments

Default one year checkup comments

The nurse asked if she was drinking cow's milk yet, and I said no she nurses. She raised her eyebrows and said, "Still?" So I decided to be a snippy know-it-all and tell her that the World Health Organization recommends 2 years. Then she REALLY raised her eyebrows and just said "OH" with this look on her face like she thought I was nuts.

The pedi was nice though. He didn't say anything at all about cow's milk or nursing, just that she was growing great and he was impressed that she's NEVER BEEN SICK yet!!!! All hail boob juice.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

Default Re: one year checkup comments

Good for you!
    Nice that the pedi was positive at least. If I were you, I probably would have thrown in a comment attributing my LO's good health and growth to bfing!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Yay! for good growing and a healthy happy baby!

Boo on that silly nurse- seriously I wonder abou tht elack of education about nursing medical professionals have.
    Allie, moma to Owen born 11/23/2006 and breast feeding ever since. .

No time for flash cards! ~fun and learning for toddlers and preschoolers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilahsmama View Post
    The pedi was nice though. He didn't say anything at all about cow's milk or nursing, just that she was growing great and he was impressed that she's NEVER BEEN SICK yet!!!! All hail boob juice.
    Amen, someone else gets it......my lo has never been sick either......

Thanks! At the next visit I'll make it a point to mention to the pedi that I think the nursing has kept her so healthy.

I can't believe medical professionals don't have more knowlege about breastfeeding either. That nurse must see mothers of little ones all day long, and apparently not too many are still nursing at 1 year like we are. What a bummer. And I forgot to mention, after our exchange she launched into asking me how often LO nurses, how many minutes on each side, etc., you know-- the kinds of questions they pester you with in the hospital that end up making you think you need to watch the clock 24/7. I found that annoying because I have no idea how often she nurses, it changes all the time, and how long on each side, whaaaa??? No idea. I couldn't even guess. The idea that she needed that kind of information at this point seemed so...I don't know...absurd.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

There is no reason the Nurse would need that much info? She is there to weigh, give shots, and measure the baby. The ped. is who does the actual exam. I wonder if she was back peddling after her eyebrow raise and remark, by trying to sound interested?

Kathryn,
    Mama to my sweet blueberry eyed boy Joshua
    born on 11/2/2006

and my blueberry eyed baby Jonah Henry...my water birth baby!
    born on 6/15/09

MOBY WRAPS ROCK

My nurse told us at Alex's one year appointment that I should introduce whole milk and Alex should drink 25-30oz a day. I was like "He is still primarily breastfeeding and maaaaybe drinks an ounce of whole milk a day"

Please. Like I would substitute cows milk for breastmilk.

Quote Originally Posted by TeresaG View Post
    My nurse told us at Alex's one year appointment that I should introduce whole milk and Alex should drink 25-30oz a day. I was like "He is still primarily breastfeeding and maaaaybe drinks an ounce of whole milk a day"

Please. Like I would substitute cows milk for breastmilk.
    25-30 oz. Our ped told us no more than 16 oz of milk and 4 of juice. After that it was supposed to be water.

Quote Originally Posted by zoewmu View Post
    25-30 oz. Our ped told us no more than 16 oz of milk and 4 of juice. After that it was supposed to be water.
    Even that sounds like a crazy huge amount to me! I give dd sips of plain water out of my glass once in a while, but other than that, nothing but my milk. Although DP gave her a sip of root beer once.

25-30 oz of cow's milk a day...I don't even know what to say about that!