Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: when to start solids?

Red face when to start solids?

My DS just turned 4 mo. He had his check up today and the tech said to start stage 1 foods. I don't really want too. I had planned on waiting til at least 5 mo, maybe 6. We didn't know(our first baby) so went to the store and bought all kinds of junk. Now I am having second thoughts. I don't mind the rice cereal, but my poor baby still has issues with gas and I don't think starting fruits and veggies will help, will probably make him worse. I thought it was closer to 6 mo you started them. I am so confused. Sorry, you probably get this question all the time.

Default Re: when to start solids?

6 mo! i would not start anything now, the aap recommends waiting until 6 mo. they are not really developed enough to handle solids any earlier. go with your gut, momma, you're are right on!
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

My ped also told me to start ds on solids at 4 moths old. She said to give him rice cereal before bed to help him sleep longer, he was a reverse cycler and nursed ALL night. I went with my gut and never did that and he is just fine and healthy as ever. Later I actually switched peds, not for that specific reason but there were so many things I just did differently than she thought I should. Oh well. Mamas know best.

Are you giving him the rice cereal? you may want to consider the cereal being the culprit of the gas...

Here's a nice link with first foods/solids info

Here's another link
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Wait until your baby is ready- which if you are watching the signs is usually around 6 months. Owen got his first foods ( avocado) a few days shy of 6 months after hitting these milestones :

No more tongue thrust reflex
    Sitting on his own
    grabbing at everything I ate consistently
    developing his pincer grasp.
    Allie, moma to Owen born 11/23/2006 and breast feeding ever since. .

No time for flash cards! ~fun and learning for toddlers and preschoolers.

4 months sounds early to me, but my ped told us at 5 mos to get him started. We kind of waited 'till he was closer to 6 months.
    Good Luck! This whole solid foods thing is confusing and stressful to me!

Dyls dr has been "give him solids" for months, and hes now 6 months and about a week. that being said, I didnt want to. i wanted to exclusively bf him for a year.
    He sits up, walks, grabs whatever everyone else is eating, etc.
    I make him potatoes now, out of whippd bm mainly and with a smalll amount of potatoes. It makes him happy, he doesnt get sick, etc.
    Dyl never ate cereal because he was/is allergy and "digestive sensitivity" prone.I also make him apple and nana mushies.
    Ive been trying to figure out how to make him something similar to ice cream..
    I hope that helps.

Thanks for the advice. I have given him a few bites of cereal occasionally for fun, but am going to wait until 6 mo to start giving it regularly or trying anything else. It just didn't sound right to me. They also said to start giving him juice in a sippy cup. I did put a tiny bit of juice in a cup with water and let it drip on his tongue. He just wanted to chew on the cup. Oh well. He seems happy and healthy, so no need for solids yet.

Hi

I just wanted to say, good on you for asking the question instead of going all out to introduce solids to your little one.

Breastmilk or formula is still their main source of nutrition for the first year, so the foods that are introduced after 6 months are just for trying and learning how to eat.

We waited til 6 months to introduce Brooke to solids, we weren't in any hurry and she was satisfied with milk. When solids were introduced it was more time consuming, and much more messy! lol

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that you are not the only one who is getting the pressure to give your lo solids I have been getting pressure since Hannah was 3.5 months old (she is 5 months now)! but I want to wait until she starts to show the signs that she is ready for food before I start to give them to her, and she is doing just fine. I think that you should trust your gut and go with what you feel is best