Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cereal/Solids to get thru the night?

Default Re: Cereal/Solids to get thru the night?

Thanks Ladies!
    I HOPE it is a growth spurt. We're going to group today so I'll weigh him. I will ride it out for a few weeks. I'm fortunate to be staying home at this point. So even when I am suffering from lack of sleep, (It was every1.5hrs to every 40 min last night NO long period at all) it's not the end of the world. The last thing I want is an overweight baby. Hopefully it will over soon. Again, I really appreciate the support!

OK so guess what it was?
    He was TEETHING! I went to group today and my group leader suggested tylenol before bedtime. That it might be pain or comfort nursing that was causing the frequency increase. Lo & behold when I got home from lunch I put my finger in his mouth and found the 1st tooth poking thru his gums! What a trooper! I think he's cranky because he's not getting enough sleep, and really he's not sleeping because he's in pain. What a paridime shifter! Now that I know what it is I'll nurse him all day an all night!
    Thanks again!

How exciting; a tooth! Ds didn't cut his first tooth until he was 8 mo. Not that I was worried or anything; some kids don't get any for 12 mo or longer.

Just remember to brush that tooth twice a day! Get in the habbit so it just becomes normal routine for both of you (I was only brushing ds' once a day at first, and now I still usually forget and only do it once ).

WHEW!!

Such a relief when you finally figure out what is going on and everything suddenly has an explanation. I can think of a number of times I started to really wonder about something, asked LLL members or a leader, and suddenly the problem was gone

Definitely get into the habit of brushing. My DS won't let us brush at all, and he's got nearly a full mouth

Hope the sleeping returns to normal here in a few days, or until the next one pops through!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Well the tylenol really helped! We got our 41/2 hr stretch back last night. YAY. ANd this morning when he onlywent 40 mins between sessions I gave him somemore and he went right to sleep w/o even nursing the 2nd time. ANd it's so true what you said. Knowing what was wrong changed everything about the way we dealt with him last night. And once again I fell in love with my son. He's always been so good. And even now in the face of what has to be the worse pain he's faced yet, as long as we stayed with him and didn't put him down or expect him to entertain himself his demeanor was great. I am so unbelieveably lucky! I'm embarrassed at how irritated I got over a little sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Feorsteorra
    Ok, first off cereal or other solids do NOT make a baby sleep longer at night. That is just a myth that has been proven falce by actual studdies.
    I disagree.

I know for a fact it does help. My dd did not sleep through the night - i started with 1 tbsp of cereal and night 2 she started all night. In fact every night i gave her cereal she slept - if i mssed it she did not.

Be careful withyour reporting. You can find studies to support any point of view.

Jeffs_hope,
    If the cereal is really what helped your baby sleep, than that's great for you and your family. However, I know from my expirence that solids never helped my ds sleep though the night. I suppose I was wrong to referance a study I have not personally read, just heard about from other posters on other message boards. In any case, I have also heard from numerious other moms that solids did not help their baby sleep. I would venture to say that if solids do help some babies sleep (as may have been the case with yours), those babies are in quite the minority.

The danger I see in recomending cereal or other solids to help babies sleep is that it can encourage early solids which can lead to constipation, tummy upset, increased risk of alergies, and early weaning.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom
    I'm embarrassed at how irritated I got over a little sleep.
    Sweetie, we've all been there, in some way.

I have jumped off the bed crying (OK, screaming) in the middle of the night from frustration, exhaustion and resentment, even thought I knew he wouldn't be doing whatever it was that was bugging me without a reason. The trick is to forgive ourselves, realize we are human, and do the best we can to meet our children's needs and ours too. We also learn from each of these incidents, and hopefully become better moms.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

On the issue of cereal and sleep...

This is a topic of deep interest and debate. If you wish to debate this topic, please take it to our off topic chat forum, Around the Refreshment Table. Thank you!

Remember that while everyone here is welcome to express their own experiences and opinions, only LLL Leaders (those with LLL in front of their username) represent LLL. You may hear different experiences and points of view that vary greatly from your own. Please take only what works for you and YOUR family, and leave the rest.

The LLLI Health Advisory Council concurs with the research evidence that shows babies do not generally sleep longer stretches with the introduction of solids or formula to their diets, and suggests that solids be offered on the basis of readiness.

You can read more information on sleep and solids in these locations:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBsleep.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBsolids.html

HTH!

Thanks Jolie for weighing in on the matter. I got exactly what I was looking for from this thread-support. And based on the feed back I got I made the choice that I thought was best for me and my child. Which was to hold off on solids for the time being. But I also got a lot of great ideas for 1st foods to try when we are ready. I did not mean to spark a debate. Only to get some guidance for myself.