Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Help!! Feeding problems

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    182

    Default Help!! Feeding problems

    Hi ladies,

    My 5 week old was feeding very well. She was a quick eater 5-10 minutes per breast. I have been pumping and we have given her the occasional bottle of EBM.

    The past few days she will take one side for a few minutes, then freak out. She screams and cries and will not calm down until I give her a bottle. I am not sure if she gets tired and the bottle is easier. We are using the Nuk bottles with a slow nipple. She really has to work to get the milk out, so I don't think it is that much easier.

    Sometimes (at night) she will go through both breasts without a problem, but during the day, she just wants the bottle. I keep pumping to keep up my supply, but I don't know what to do. She just keeps screaming if I try and giver her my breast. I'm at my wits end!

    Help!!
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

    Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Help!! Feeding problems

    Honey you sould stop giving her the botthle even if it's with nipple lair!
    She will get used to faster way to get to the milk, and she will reject the breast!
    I was giving my son (who btw is born on 20 of septemeber) formula, but these weeks I am giving up formula, and go streight on breast! Luckily he likes the breast
    Soo just breastfeed her if you have enough milk ofcourse!
    Best wishes to you and your little daughter!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    154

    Default Re: Help!! Feeding problems

    there is a thing called nipple confusion......so I would stop givig her the bottles....I just don´t see the point in bottles if everything is going ok with direct breastfeeding, and you are available to do it. The pumping is not really necesary, unless you plan on having a freezer stash for later on.

    Sometimes we do it (and I include myself) so that others can feed the baby...but close familiy and friends can have a relationship with the baby in other ways....that way the feeding is only mommy´s thing....and helps maintain and build up milk supply acording to baby´s needs.....

    I seriously would stop supplementing (even if it is bm) and nurse frequently to get supply up...
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

    I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

    I also love
    Tried to


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: Help!! Feeding problems

    She nurses fine when she wants to. I do not feel that this is nipple confusion. I am going back to work in a month, and although she will be coming with me (I'm a child care provider) I will need to be able to have someone else feed her during the day.

    I pump because I get engorged when she skips her feedings on one side, or if she refuses to latch on at all. I know I have a fast let down, I tried block feedings, and that works when she will nurse.

    I WANT to continue to nurse her. I only use the bottle as a last resort. I just don't know what to do when she has been crying for an hour and I know she is hungry, but she won't take my breast. I'm here crying now because I feel so helpless. I try to calm her down and try to get her to latch on again, but as soon as she sees my breast she start to cry. My husband is no help, he justs wants her to stop crying.

    Please, I have no idea what to do.
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

    Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12

    Default Re: Help!! Feeding problems

    Honey don't worry, meybe it's just a phase! Don't be soo discipline about pumping! It's too early for that! I don't do that now! My baby is 1 mounth and 2 weeks old, and I am not pumping my breasts, just to have more milk, because he is all the time on the breast! You have to be patiant! Just TRY, AND TRY, don't give up! Eventually she will take the breast! But breastfeeding can be very difficult and frustrating! Once you have contact thing will be more easy, for both of you! Tell your husband that you need his all support!
    Take care both of you
    Just have faith!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,866

    Default Re: Help!! Feeding problems

    Quote Originally Posted by ladybug6 View Post
    The past few days she will take one side for a few minutes, then freak out.
    Has anything changed in the last few days? Is she sick? Looking in her mouth, do you see any sores or white patches?

    Quote Originally Posted by ladybug6 View Post
    She screams and cries and will not calm down until I give her a bottle. I am not sure if she gets tired and the bottle is easier. We are using the Nuk bottles with a slow nipple. She really has to work to get the milk out, so I don't think it is that much easier.
    I hate to be the bearer of not-so-good news, but offering a bottle at a time like this is probably prolonging the problem. The links I will provide below give some alternative suggestions and tips.

    Could you try to go to a quiet, darkened room and lie down to nurse? Try nursing in motion (walking, rocking, bouncing)? Nursing in a sling? Change positions?

    Here's a page that might help you pinpoint what the problem is:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...e-nursing.html

    Quote Originally Posted by ladybug6 View Post
    Sometimes (at night) she will go through both breasts without a problem, but during the day, she just wants the bottle. I keep pumping to keep up my supply, but I don't know what to do. She just keeps screaming if I try and giver her my breast. I'm at my wits end!
    Babies often will nurse better when asleep or sleepy. Here's some information:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html

    Quote Originally Posted by ladybug6 View Post
    She nurses fine when she wants to. I do not feel that this is nipple confusion.
    It may not be nipple confusion, it could be more of a flow preference. This resource might be helpful:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T022400.asp
    http://www.kjsl.com/~cee/confuse.htm

    Quote Originally Posted by ladybug6 View Post
    I am going back to work in a month, and although she will be coming with me (I'm a child care provider) I will need to be able to have someone else feed her during the day.
    Would you consider removing bottles/pacifiers from the equation, at least for a little while? You can always go back to them after this current situation is resolved. For now, if baby refuses to nurse, you might consider offering ebm via cup, spoon, dropper, ect.

    Quote Originally Posted by ladybug6 View Post
    I pump because I get engorged when she skips her feedings on one side, or if she refuses to latch on at all. I know I have a fast let down, I tried block feedings, and that works when she will nurse.
    Great!

    Remember that you can "block pump", too. That way, you're not overstimulating your breasts, causing a rebound incline on production.

    Quote Originally Posted by ladybug6 View Post
    I WANT to continue to nurse her. I only use the bottle as a last resort. I just don't know what to do when she has been crying for an hour and I know she is hungry, but she won't take my breast. I'm here crying now because I feel so helpless. I try to calm her down and try to get her to latch on again, but as soon as she sees my breast she start to cry. My husband is no help, he justs wants her to stop crying.


    Maybe try offering a little ebm to take the edge off, then retreating to a quiet, darkened room where you both can relax.

    Also, lots of skin to skin contact can be really beneficial, especially when baby is reluctant to nurse.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: Help!! Feeding problems

    Do I just let her cry instead of giving her the bottle? I have let it go on for as long as a half hour and she still will not stop screaming.

    I did notice the inside of her upper lip is slightly white, I thought it was a nursing blister. My left nipple/breast is very tender, I just thought I had my pump suction up too hard. Could it be thrush?? She sucks fine on the bottle and pacifier. I'm not sure. Both my DR and hers are already closed.

    I think I may be crying harder than she is anymore. I'm just so upset that she get so upsets, and I can't do anything.
    All I do is
    But I could not be happier!!

    Mom to
    Sophia Olivia (9/26/07)
    34 weekers:
    Samantha Jane (9/24/09)
    Jillian Elizabeth (9/24/09)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,866

    Default Re: Help!! Feeding problems

    Quote Originally Posted by ladybug6 View Post
    Do I just let her cry instead of giving her the bottle? I have let it go on for as long as a half hour and she still will not stop screaming.


    Please don't misunderstand--no one is suggesting you let your baby go hungry! What we ARE suggesting is perhaps try something other than going directly to the bottle. What I personally suggest is try to calm her down, then attempt to nurse differently (change positions, in motion, in a quiet darkened room, ect). If that doesn't work, you could try to calm again, then offer ebm via an alternative method such as spoon, cup, dropper, ect. The links I provided earlier offer some wonderful suggestions for getting baby back to the breast.

    If you want to continue using bottles, perhaps consider changing nipple types (NUK sometimes causes confusion-like issues), assure it's a slow flow nipple, and be sure to pace the feeding.

    Quote Originally Posted by ladybug6 View Post
    I did notice the inside of her upper lip is slightly white, I thought it was a nursing blister. My left nipple/breast is very tender, I just thought I had my pump suction up too hard. Could it be thrush?? She sucks fine on the bottle and pacifier. I'm not sure. Both my DR and hers are already closed.
    Do the patches wipe off? If not, it could be thrush. Here's some helpful resources:
    http://www.lalechleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html
    www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVOctNov98p91.html

    Photos:
    http://lactinv.com/tscreen.htm

    Quote Originally Posted by ladybug6 View Post
    I think I may be crying harder than she is anymore. I'm just so upset that she get so upsets, and I can't do anything.


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    miles from nowhere
    Posts
    11,107

    Default Re: Help!! Feeding problems

    Keep offering her the breast and she will take it eventually. I know it is so frustrating and hard to hear your lo cry and it stresses you out, which she picks up on and she gets stressed out too.

    It's OK, you guys will figure this out- it's new to both of you and it's ok for you both to be a little confused.

    You could try taking a warm bath with your baby. That very often relaxes them and the skin to skin contact encourages them to try to nurse. My 1 year old still wants to nurse when we take baths together

    Another thing you can try is the side lying position in a quiet room- it will help her calm down and, again, the skin to skin contact is soothing and encouraging to her.

    HTH, more to you.

    Def. check out the thrush links above. We had this when my lo was young and it made her pull off the boob because it hurt.
    Last edited by NorasMommy; November 2nd, 2007 at 02:42 PM. Reason: saw new posts
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •