Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eliminated oversupply but OALD remains

Default Re: Eliminated oversupply but OALD remains

Quote Originally Posted by shannon1976 View Post
    So, if I am understanding this correctly, I should start blockfeeding her again to help eliminate OALD? Also, I need to know how to work in a couple of pumping sessions per day so that I can continue adding to my freezer stash. How can I work the pumping in along with the steps I'm taking for the OALD? My supply currently seems to be right on target with what my baby needs and I don't want to get my oversupply back! I understand that with pumping comes a bigger supply, but surely there must be some way that I can keep it from getting out of control again. And I know that with already having an OALD it may get worse with the pumping, though I must do so. Any suggestions are appreciated!
    Block feeding may or may not eliminate OALD, if it is unrelated to oversupply. You certainly could try it to see if it helps, maybe something gentle like one side every two hours.

May I ask what the purpose of your freezer stash is? Are you returning to work soon? Many mothers, both at home and working outside of the home, do fine without a freezer stash, simply pumping on an "as needed" basis. Since you have been struggling with oversupply, I am concerned that if you start pumping twice a day you could end up back where you started. Have you thought about hand expression? Most oversupplied moms find hand expression pretty simple once they're practiced at it, and it usually doesn't cause as much of a problem for them in terms of supply.

HTH. Keep up the good work,

Tiana

I'm actually a SAHM, but we're not at home a lot of the time. I'd like to have a good supply on hand for situations like occasional date nights or girls' day/night out. Also, I prefer to use a bottle instead of my breast in certain public places, like church, which would be very uncomfortable for me to do. I don't use a bottle ALL the time, and I have nursed her in most public places. However, some places I just don't feel comfortable.

In addition, my husband and I are planning a 3-day getaway during December and I need to have enough supply for her caregiver. I'm also thinking about what might happen if I have some sort of emergency medical problem and am incapable of nursing. I want to have a good supply for a situation like that, should one arise.

I am really concerned now, however, that my supply is decreasing. I haven't given my daughter a bottle in about a week. I haven't been pumping everyday. If I do, it's been only once. I've been doing so in the morning, when my supply should be at it's greatest. However, I'm not getting hardly anything anymore! Where did my abundant supply go!? I used to get between 4 and 6 ounces in one double-pumping session, or just 3-4 ounces from a single-pumping session. Now, I'm only getting about 1-2 ounces. And also, it seems that I am able to pump more milk from my left breast than from my right.

The problems just keep stacking up!

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Pump output is not a very good indicator of milk production. Does it seem to you that your daughter is getting enough milk when nursing directly? Is she having plenty of wet/poopy diapers? All sorts of things can affect pump output. Pump parts wear out, breast size can change, effecting which size flange you need...even stress about how much is coming out when pumping can cause pumping problems. When you pump, try to relax and think positive, peaceful thoughts about your baby. Try not to stress out about every drop. Even one or two ounces pumped per day should be plenty, since your need for pumped milk is pretty limited.

Remember that when you travel away from your baby, you will need to pump at least as often as your baby would be nursing in order to prevent engorgement and mastitis, and to preserve your milk supply. It is possible to ship your milk overnight to your baby's caregiver, so that she is able to have your fresh milk available. I would be remiss if I did not mention that separation from mother for more than a few hours can be pretty traumatic for a little baby. This time of intense need for mother is relatively short, and breastfed babies are quite portable. You might want to explore the possibility of taking baby along with you on your trip with your husband.

Have you thought about learning how to nurse in a sling, or investing in a nursing dress or two for when you are at church? Many mothers have found that nursing in a sling with a nursing dress or top allows for very discrete breastfeeding. People usually assume that baby is sleeping. It is helpful, of course, to practice at home so that you are comfortable before trying it at church. You might try sitting in front of a mirror, or having your husband watch your technique, to see if you are at all "exposed". Have you talked to other nursing moms at your church about how they have handled nursing their babies? Some churches have private rooms for nursing mothers, where they can hear, and sometimes even see, what is going on in the sanctuary. You may need to ask if such a room exists, as it is not always common knowledge. I'm not saying that bottle feeding at church is necessarily "bad", but it can be a hassle, and there are alternatives.

HTH. Keep up the good work, mama!

Tiana

I do stress about every little drop! I guess I just thought that if I'm not pumping much, then my baby isn't getting much. However, she does have a good amount of wet/poopy diapers and she's not acting like she's starving. So, I guess I'll just continue pumping once per day and be happy with what I get. I could also add to it with the next morning's pump, couldn't I?

I am looking at getting a moby wrap so that I can nurse her discreetly in it. I agree that this would be a good alternative for church and the like. I attempted making my own and didn't have much luck (part of another thread I created in babywearing!).

"As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Quote Originally Posted by shannon1976 View Post
    I do stress about every little drop! I guess I just thought that if I'm not pumping much, then my baby isn't getting much. However, she does have a good amount of wet/poopy diapers and she's not acting like she's starving. So, I guess I'll just continue pumping once per day and be happy with what I get. I could also add to it with the next morning's pump, couldn't I?

I am looking at getting a moby wrap so that I can nurse her discreetly in it. I agree that this would be a good alternative for church and the like. I attempted making my own and didn't have much luck (part of another thread I created in babywearing!).
    It's wonderful that you have such a positive attitude!

It is safe to add what you pumped today to what you pumped yesterday, as long as you follow LLL's Breastmilk Storage Guidelines: http://www.llli.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

On the other hand, it is often recommended that mothers freeze their milk in very small quantities--1-2oz at a time--to minimize waste. Breastfed babies tend to prefer short, frequent feedings.

Have you attended a local LLL meeting? You might be able to see other mothers nursing their babies in different kinds of carriers, and get to see how they work "in person". It's hard to know which carrier will work best for you without trying it first. Face to face support and encouragement can be priceless!

Tiana

I've been freezing basically the quantities I get with each pump, but it's always been 3-4 ounces (so that's what I freeze). Sometimes 2 ounces in a bag but usually 3-4. I haven't had much waste so far. I know she usually eats about 3 ounces per feeding. She'll take an ounce or two, then burp and/or doze off (at which time I stick the bottle in the fridge). She'll wake up or want more a short time later, so I'll give her what's left and she's full.

Yes I do attend one meeting a month (our area holds two per month, one is morning and one is evening). That's where I first heard of babywearing and the moby wrap. However, I'm still wondering aout all the choices out there. The girl in LLL who babywears sews her own mobys. I like the look of mei teis too, but not sure I can nurse in them. I know I don't like slings (tried one) because the two shoulder carries are more comfortable.

Still not sure exactly why the bjorn-style carriers are bad. I have an Infantino Eurorider and my hubby loves it. Held her through an entire pee wee football game in it, but he said his back hurt a little later.

Ooops! This topic is meant for a different forum!

It's great that you've been attending local meetings! No worries about the babywearing rabbit-trail. It can be very confusing. Have you visited www.mamatoto.org or www.thebabywearer.com? Those sites can be pretty helpful and informative.

Tiana

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Just a quick note to tell you what I do in church to bf w/ an OALD -- I use a nursing cover (also cause it's hard for me to nurse in a carrier - lazy to keep trying). My LO gets VERY distracted and won't nurse, unless it's "dark" under the cover. She would go on-and-off, again and again, so using the nursing cover works better for us.

Exclamation Re: Eliminated oversupply but OALD remains

Quote Originally Posted by LLLTiana View Post
    Most mothers with OALD will letdown when baby starts to nurse, and then the baby will pull off when the letdown is too strong to handle. Mother can grab a cloth diaper or a towel and catch the spray, and then put baby back on when the milk slows down--no need to express at all in this case.

If baby isn't pulling off at all, that usually means that baby is dealing well with the letdown and nothing needs to be done. Can you tell me more about your daughter's behavior at the breast?

Tiana
    Sorry so late replying. She went through a growth spurt last week and I couldn't get to the computer! We have good sessions and difficult sessions. Here is a typical difficult session with her:

We latch on great, but with let down, she pulls back while still suckling. It's like she's trying to get a shallower latch to slow it down. Then, she'll start to beat on my breast with her hand and shaking her head. If it's really bad, she'll kick her legs, but she won't let go of the nipple the whole while. She makes noises that sound like she's trying to keep from choking too...clearing throat noises. If I pull her off, she starts crying like crazy, so I give it back and we do the hitting kicking thing again. Sometimes, I try to spray in a cloth, but first of all, she's crying crazy. Second, it seems like the let down never ends. It just keeps spraying and spraying until I give up and give it back to her for us to start it again. Usually, I take her off the breast to burp her and calm her before we try again, but it doesn't help.

We usually don't have the problem in the morning. It's usually during late night feedings. It happens in the morning sometimes too, but not usually during the day.

Anyway, we have fewer of these difficult times now that I eliminated the oversupply, but it's still really frustrating to not be able to feed her because both breasts are spraying milk 2 feet.

Thanks in advance for the help!

I'm trying to work thru this too, so I don't have any more advice to give than what's been mentioned throughout this thread...just wanted to tell you that your lo is ADORABLE! What a cute baby girl!