Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eliminated oversupply but OALD remains

Default Eliminated oversupply but OALD remains

I used blockfeeding a month ago to correct my oversupply problem and OALD. I haven't had an oversupply problem ever since. My breasts feel soft/med. firm most of the time. Occasionally they feel full, but never painful and never so much that they start leaking on their own.

My problem is that I STILL have the OALD! It's driving me and my daughter batty!

I honestly don't know what to do. It seems that my baby is S-L-O-W-L-Y getting used to the OALD, because it used to be that when I felt my letdown at each and every nursing session, within seconds she would pull off and choke, gag, wheeze, and scream. She doesn't do that every time anymore, but still MUCH of the time. My milk sprays in several directions, sometimes popping her in the eye!

Will I just have to keep dealing with the OALD until she becomes completely used to it, knowing how to control it herself? I know that many people have advised to pump a little before nursing or let it spray into a cloth, but this isn't always possible, especially when I'm out in public. It's hard enough for me to keep my "cover" while she eats. I've resorted to giving her bottles sometimes because her mealtimes go WAY easier this way. I still nurse her whenever we're at home and many times while out. But it's just so much easier to give her a bottle of EBM and call it good!

What can I do about this OALD? Anything??? Oh, and the high-pitched "wheezing" she's doing when she takes in too much scares me. And she stops breathing sometimes until I tap her on the back a little. This can't be good for her.

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Default Re: Eliminated oversupply but OALD remains

I need some help with this too. I tried blockfeeding to reduce oversupply, but I'm wondering if I really had OS because I never felt engorged in the breast I wasn't feeding from. Over the past week and a half, I have extended my blocks of time to 5 hours on each breast, and I still have OALD.

I thought we had almost solved the LD issue, but tonight was horrible! She pulls off every 30 seconds after flailing her arms and legs and crying with breast in her mouth I don't have time to do the whole "spray into a cloth" thing because she is crying and rooting for the breast. Then, it seems like it never STOPS spraying. When it comes out of her mouth, I don't see spray, but if I squeeze the aereola, I can see the spray in 3 different directions for several feet. How long is LD supposed to last? Seconds? Minutes? I can't really feel my LD and even when I can, the spray still seems to go on forever.

She also wheezes. The pediatrician said this is her way of learning to clear her throat and push the milk down when it is coming back up (spit up).

While OALD is often related to oversupply, many mothers have OALD who do not have oversupply.

Varying nursing positions has been helpful to many mothers. Leaning back in a chair, sidelying, and even the clutch/football hold have helped many mothers and babies with OALD to breastfeed more comfortably. You could also try hand expressing into a towel/over the sink for a little bit before nursing baby, until the initial, strong letdown subsides.

When OALD ends is different for every mother, but most mothers find that it does eventually subside.

Hang in there,

Tiana

Quote Originally Posted by LLLTiana View Post
    While OALD is often related to oversupply, many mothers have OALD who do not have oversupply.

Varying nursing positions has been helpful to many mothers. Leaning back in a chair, sidelying, and even the clutch/football hold have helped many mothers and babies with OALD to breastfeed more comfortably. You could also try hand expressing into a towel/over the sink for a little bit before nursing baby, until the initial, strong letdown subsides.

When OALD ends is different for every mother, but most mothers find that it does eventually subside.

Hang in there,

Tiana
    What if your letdown doesn't start until your baby starts to nurse? Once I get going, she doesn't let me pause to express some of it, and it seems like no matter how much I express, it never stops spraying.

Most mothers with OALD will letdown when baby starts to nurse, and then the baby will pull off when the letdown is too strong to handle. Mother can grab a cloth diaper or a towel and catch the spray, and then put baby back on when the milk slows down--no need to express at all in this case.

If baby isn't pulling off at all, that usually means that baby is dealing well with the letdown and nothing needs to be done. Can you tell me more about your daughter's behavior at the breast?

Tiana

FWIW, I still had OALD even after my OS subsided. As Haley got older, she got better at dealing with it. She still has moments when it's too much for her. In fact, it happened once today. But she has learned, when that happens, to let go of the breast so it soaks me instead of spraying her in the throat. I had success with leaning back a little so gravity helped keep the milk from choking her as much, too. But I just mainly wanted to encourage you that with time it should get better. In fact, your LO may start to be bothered by a lack of OALD if your supply regulates more--mine is sometimes!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Thanks for all the advice & encouragement! I'm constantly, everyday, wondering if I'm doing everything right as far as breastfeeding goes. I've always got some kind of dilemma going on, and reminding myself why I'm doing this in the first place. I formula-fed my firstborn and I don't remember being this bloody confused!!! I know they say breastfeeding is so much easier than formula-feeding, but I'm not so sure. I'm sticking with it because I know it's good for my baby girl.

I'll keep dealing with the OALD and thanking God that I don't have too LITTLE milk!

"As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Quote Originally Posted by shannon1976 View Post
    I'll keep dealing with the OALD and thanking God that I don't have too LITTLE milk!
    This is a good attitude! I used to hate my OS/OALD, but then a month or so ago had a dip in supply that lasted almost a week and it freaked me out! I was suddenly very thankful for my usually overabundant supply--and even more thankful when it returned!

I think the concept of BFing is easier--the portability, the immediate accessibility, the fact that it's tailored to be just what your baby needs. But it certainly doesn't always FEEL easier when you're dealing with challenges. I can attest to that. But kudos to you for sticking it out! You're doing an awesome job, mama!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I totally agree that it's better to have too much than too little, but ...

It totally just hit me that it's possible all of our nursing problems are related to OALD (I think more so than OS). I kept attributing my daughters extreme gassiness and fussiness at the breast to normal baby stuff, while continuing to be upset during nearly every nursing. I am going to start only offering one breast at each feeding and will block feed if need be. I just can't stand to see my LO so upset ... and know that she is really hungry at the same time. I have started nursing while reclined. She seems to like this better. We seem to have all the symptoms associated with OALD ... the spitting up, extreme gassiness, choking, etc. Wish I had visited this board sooner!!
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

So, if I am understanding this correctly, I should start blockfeeding her again to help eliminate OALD? Also, I need to know how to work in a couple of pumping sessions per day so that I can continue adding to my freezer stash. How can I work the pumping in along with the steps I'm taking for the OALD? My supply currently seems to be right on target with what my baby needs and I don't want to get my oversupply back! I understand that with pumping comes a bigger supply, but surely there must be some way that I can keep it from getting out of control again. And I know that with already having an OALD it may get worse with the pumping, though I must do so. Any suggestions are appreciated!