Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with 7 day old

Default Help with 7 day old

My cousin called me this morning with some issues she's having and wanted me to come here and ask for help.
    Today her new baby girl wouldn't take her right breast only her left, no matter what she did she simpily would not take it. I told her to put her new baby on her right breast first when she was hungry and she still wouldn't take it. She said her right breast is becomming engorged and I told her to pump some off and see if her baby would take it then but nope. Should she pump her right breast when her daughter is done nursing off her left?
    Also, she said her breasts are hurting really bad and hot to the touch and she said she's starting to run a fever, I told her to go see her Dr. and be checked for mastitis and she doesn't have it. She's wondering why her breasts are hurting really bad, hot and she's running a temp.? The woman from LLL keeps telling her the latch is fine.
    Her Dr. couldn't see any reason for the fever or anything, no blocked ducted or anything.
    She can't afford to have an LC come see her.

Default Re: Help with 7 day old

Quote Originally Posted by PoisonousBlonde_81 View Post
    Today her new baby girl wouldn't take her right breast only her left, no matter what she did she simpily would not take it. I told her to put her new baby on her right breast first when she was hungry and she still wouldn't take it.
    Suggest different positions (cradle, football, cross cradle, lying down...ect), then perhaps suggest motion (walking, rocking, bouncing). If that fails, she could try the slide over technique. What she would do is start out on one breast, then switch to the other WITHOUT changing baby's position. So, if she was in the cradle position on the left breast, mom would sliiiide baby over to the right breast without changing the way baby was positioned. Does that make sense?

She said her right breast is becomming engorged and I told her to pump some off and see if her baby would take it then but nope. Should she pump her right breast when her daughter is done nursing off her left?
    That would be a good idea. Is there anything out of the ordinary going on with that breast? When did the refusal begin?

Also, she said her breasts are hurting really bad and hot to the touch and she said she's starting to run a fever, I told her to go see her Dr. and be checked for mastitis and she doesn't have it. She's wondering why her breasts are hurting really bad, hot and she's running a temp.? The woman from LLL keeps telling her the latch is fine.
    Her Dr. couldn't see any reason for the fever or anything, no blocked ducted or anything.
    Mastitis simply means swelling of the breast. Though, it is often caused by a plugged duct, that isn't the only cause for masitis.

This resource explains what the issue could be, gives some tips for managing the symptoms, and also tells when to see the doctor:
    www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/mastitis.html

HTH!