Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumped ounces for 6 week old?

Default Pumped ounces for 6 week old?

Hi, my 6 week old constantly seems hungry, so I've started pumping to see how much milk I am making. I'm getting about 2.5-3.0 oz every 3 hours. My son is only about 9lb, so he's in the 25% of weight for his age.

Is 2.5-3.0oz of breast milk enough? He still seems hungry after eating this. Should I also give him some formula? If so, how much? I've read that babies his weight and age should have between 2-4 oz of milk per feeding, but I also know that formula is more difficult to digest. So, I don't know if I should give him the 2.5-3.0oz of breast milk, and then give another 2oz of formula if he still seems hungry?

FTM here, so I'm still trying to figure out everything. Thanks!

BGP

Default Re: Pumped ounces for 6 week old?

he is most likely going through a growth spurt. They have a huge one at around 6 weeks. You are experiencing what is called cluster feeding. back to back nursing. It helps build up your supply.
    3 oz every 3 hours is a good amount.
    another note is that while you area able to pump that amount, your baby uses both compression and suction and will remove far more than you are able.
    A good amount for a baby is 1 to 1 1/2 oz per hour. during growing periods it may naturally be more. Are you pumping only or bf? bf is going to be more effective for the both of you.
    Last edited by carpentergirl; November 1st, 2007 at 03:32 PM.

Hi, I am doing both - pumping and BF. But, I've only started pumping this week. The only concern I have with EBF is that my son keeps falling asleep while nursing. I became concerned he wasn't eating enough, since his weight gain has been very slow. Hence, I started pumping to check the volume. I'm not sure he's even getting the full 3oz when he nurses, since he won't stay awake for more than 5 minutes .

Quote Originally Posted by bmgoldman View Post
    Hi, my 6 week old constantly seems hungry, so I've started pumping to see how much milk I am making.

Do know that it's normal for newborns to want to eat frequently. In fact, it may seem like they're eating "all the time". Here's a page you might find helpful and reassuring:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/frequent-nursing.html

I'm getting about 2.5-3.0 oz every 3 hours.
    Please know that pump output is not indicative of overall milk production. Baby is far more efficient at removing milk than a pump is.

My son is only about 9lb, so he's in the 25% of weight for his age.
    Chart percentages are just that--percentages. Someone has to be on the low end of the chart, and someone has to be on the high end. Being on the low end isn't necessarily a bad thing.

What matters most is the growth curve. Is your baby gaining weight consistantly? What was his lowest weight? What is his weight now?

Is he growing in length? Head circumference?

Is he content? Is he reaching his milestones?

About how many wet and poopy diapers is he having in 24 hours?

Is 2.5-3.0oz of breast milk enough? He still seems hungry after eating this. Should I also give him some formula? If so, how much? I've read that babies his weight and age should have between 2-4 oz of milk per feeding, but I also know that formula is more difficult to digest. So, I don't know if I should give him the 2.5-3.0oz of breast milk, and then give another 2oz of formula if he still seems hungry?
    Breasts don't have ounce markers, but you can know what is going in by seeing what is coming out.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/enough.htm

Hi, I am doing both - pumping and BF. But, I've only started pumping this week. The only concern I have with EBF is that my son keeps falling asleep while nursing. I became concerned he wasn't eating enough, since his weight gain has been very slow. Hence, I started pumping to check the volume. I'm not sure he's even getting the full 3oz when he nurses, since he won't stay awake for more than 5 minutes .
    I would suggest feeding directly at the breast. It's so much easier, and so much more comfy for mom and babe.

If you're concerned that he is falling asleep before getting in a good feeding, my best suggestion is to use breast compressions. What you do is watch for his sucking pattern to slow, then compress behind the milk glands to send down more milk. When the milk flows into baby's mouth, he swallows, then (out of reflex), he sucks again. In other words, it continues the suck/swallow pattern until your baby is able to get in a full feeding. Here's a page that tells how to do the technique:
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html
    And here's a page with videos that show the technique in action:
    http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html

Can you tell us more about your baby's nursing pattern? What does a typical day look like for you?

I LOVE the advice the above pp gave. I was actually going to say all of the same thing, especially that a PUMP in NO way indicates what a baby is getting from the breast. I never could pump but my dd was always a happy, healthy SMALL baby. Yes she too was VERY small and would nurse and fall asleep after only 5 min. on the breast. I was told that MOST babies could get ALL the nutrients they needed in the first 3-5 mins of nursing and not to worry as long as she acted healthy. Just make sure to watch diapers. If there are not enough diapers try feeding him more often, DONT pump unless you have too, it could do more damage than good. Good luck momma.

Watch your baby not the scale. That's what I've always done. My dd is still small and eats almost EVERYTHING at 2.3 years old. She is nrusing about 3 times a day and only weighs 24lbs. Just watch your baby is he happy most of the time? Pooping and peeing enough? That's what you should go by, NOT the amount you pump!! ((hugs))