Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fenugreek

Default Re: Fenugreek

I had success with fenugreek,Mother's Milk Tea,Blessed Thistle and LOTS of oatmeal bars! Also lots of water,and as much sleep as you can possibly get. I didn't START BF-ing until my baby was almost 6 weeks old,due to health problems and I "thought" my milk had dried up! Surprise,surprise! I also didn't have a pump to help stimulate my supply,just nursing at every opportunity, & a little help from DH ! best of luck to you, I KNOW you can do it if I did!

Fenugreek has worked wonders for me. I take it when I need to, stop if I have too much milk and then start again if I need to get more out for DS' bottles while I'm at work. I started taking it again 5 days ago. I've been taking 2 capsules (610 mg each capsule) 3 times per day and I have a ton of milk now! I leaked last night while sleeping and DS has started sputtering a little again because of my slight oversupply. I think you can take a lot of it. I remember reading a post on here from a mama who was taking 7 pills 3Xs/day.

But you probably have plenty of milk - like some of the pps said, you can't get out with a pump what your LO can. But..
    ---You could try pumping in the early morning when your milk supply is greatest - try pumping 5 minutes after your LO has finished her am feed.
    ---You might have to wait for your letdown - I sometimes have to wait 10-15 min now for letdown to occur when I'm pumping. It's frustrating to wait but once my letdown has happened, the milk is a-flowin'!
    ---You could also stop pumping, wait a few minutes, then start again. Continue this starting and stopping a few times. I do this as well to help milk flow. It seems to work well for me.

If you have an extra supply of ExBM, you can give this to your LO so you don't need to use formula (if your LO needs the extra milk which I suspect she doesn't.) You can use a supplemental feeding system suggested by Momma1. Many people say you shouldn't use a bottle but I had to because my DS was jaundiced, lethargic and not latching on. I couldn't find the supplemental feeding system where I live and a cup and dropper were totally useless. I just worked on latch with him before I gave him a bottle for each and every feeding. After 2 months, he was latching on pretty well. By 3 months, you would never have guessed that we had had tremendous problems at the beginning!

You are doing a wonderful job. Try not to doubt yourself or your body's ability to produce enough milk for your daughter. You can do this and we are all here to help you!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

Well, ty again for all the wonderful advice. I started yesterday really BF'ing her a lot. But now, I cant hardly get ANY by pumping. I can get some by hand expressing but geesh, tht takes forever and it slows way down so I have to top then start again in a few minutes. Im at a loss. HOw long does it take the supply to come up. I want her off the formula. HELPPPPPP

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Don't assume you have a low supply because of the pump. A lot of women BF successfully and can pump very little. It's a different type of extraction than nursing. I had the same situation as you had at first and I learned the following:

*Your supply is established by the baby and the baby only but pumping is good to keep things going, in a way. And you can begin to build up a stash.
    *As your LO eats more, you will end up pumping more. I started out pumping about 1/2 oz each time and now I'm up to about 2-3 oz at a time.
    *Some babies get colicky behavior from fenugreek and Mother's Milk Tea so just be on the lookout for that.
    *I saw an increase in my pumping when I bought larger breastshields. The ones that come with the pump accessories are too small for a lot of women. I think they squash the flow at the end towards the nipple.

Best of luck to you!

Quote Originally Posted by adrianna74501 View Post
    Well, ty again for all the wonderful advice. I started yesterday really BF'ing her a lot. But now, I cant hardly get ANY by pumping. I can get some by hand expressing but geesh, tht takes forever and it slows way down so I have to top then start again in a few minutes. Im at a loss. HOw long does it take the supply to come up. I want her off the formula. HELPPPPPP
    If you are breastfeeding more now, don't expect to be able to pump much. Baby is doing the work for you.
    You are wondering how long it will take your body to figure it all out? Well, here is your answer: Everyone's body is different. Cut yourself some slack, take it easy, its going to take a minute. During growth spurts, babies cluster feed for around an average of ... say ... a week to boost up mom's milk supply. So you can make a very loose assumption that it will take about that much time, of diligent, no short-cuts nursing, to send the message. Does that help you? Did you think it would be overnight? Remember that you are an organic thing, and your body has its own timetable. So go eat a cookie, drink some water, and chill out.

lol. TY for that carpenter...i needed some grounding and to chill. ive been so stresse about this which is prolly part of my problem. No, i didnt really think it would be overnight, but i didnt expect to stop getting milk when i pump. ive heard that tea and coffee hurt supply, is this correct?

Caffeine can dry you up. Stop it for a few days to see if it's affecting you.

Do you need to pump? Are you trying to build up a supply for when you go back to work? If not, then don't worry about pumping right now. Just breastfeed. Just stop the formula and pumping, relax and just breastfeed on demand.

If you must/want to pump, then maybe you just need to give it a little more time and/or add a pumping session. (How many times/day are you pumping now?) I had tons of milk for when I returned to work after my maternity leave. But once summer vacation started, I essentially stopped pumping because I had no reason to. The few times I tried to pump, very little came out. When the fall semester started, I began pumping again to build up a supply. It took me a while to be able to get out a good quantity. I was pumping 3-4 times/day to do this.

HTH. Keep us posted on how everything is going!
    Andrea - mama to Laith 02.20.07 and Sommer 01.21.11
    'Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune.' - Noam Chomsky

I just wanted to say that in 9 months of pumping for my son, I never got more than 5oz when pumping (both breasts combined). And it was not unusual for me to get 1 to 2 oz only-and this was at work not having nursed in hours. I tried 4 different pumps. I believe that my son always had enough milk when he nursed. He was happy after eating, had good diaper output and gained weight very quickly in his first few weeks of life.

I am just one of those people that has a hard time responding to the pump. It has nothing to do with how much milk I make.

Caffeine can dry you up. Stop it for a few days to see if it's affecting you.
    Caffeine shouldn't affect the milk supply, but there is evidence it might reduce the iron content of the milk and it might make your baby irritable. (Hale, Medications and Mothers' Milk, 2006 ed.)

Moving this to Increasing Your Milk

hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!