Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fenugreek

Default Fenugreek

Hello. Im new here. I have a low milk supply. I can only get about 1/4 for both breasts by pumping and an additional 1/4 to 1/2 oz for both by hand expressing. I just received fenugreek powder and was wondering how much I should use. Thank you

Default Re: Fenugreek

hi!
    Can you tell us what things you have tried as far as nursing and pumping so far?

I pump every 2 hours with a Medela hand pump and I breast feed her before I bottle feed her supplimented with formula

Just wondering what makes you think you have low supply? A lot of moms think they do, when everything is actually fine... And then they end up getting fooled into supplementing with formula, which can hurt their supply.

I'm looking at my capsules, which I try to take 2 capsules, 3x's daily. TWO capsules contain 1.22 g (1220 mg) of fenugreek seed. Does that help?

Well, my baby was 5lb 5oz at birth by c section. She lost to 4lb 15oz so they wanted me to suppliment. I feel that I have a low supply because of the lack of milk I get when I pump and hand express. I get at most 3/4oz if im lucky. I never really stop producing milk, it just slows way way down and never comes out at more than drops. Every now and then I get more of a squirt but that is only a little at a time. Any help would be so greatly appreciate it. I dont want to be a failure at this for my daughter. She deserves the best and breast is best!!!

Of course you are doing the best! I can understand you cause i was feeling the same. But you have to know that the amount of milk you pump doesn't have to do with your supply. No pump has the efficiency to suck the milk as the baby does. I think that as more you put your baby on your breast, even all the time will increase your supply. Your baby can make miracles. Now about fenugreek i haven't taken any, but i use to eat tones of oatmeal.
    Keep hanging there.

As the PP mentioned, pumping and hand expression are not reliable gauges of supply. A baby is so much better at removing milk from the breast than any pump.

That being said, what kind of pump are you using? A top-of-the-line pump will give you the most stimulation and the most efficient milk removal. I rented a hospital-grade pump from my lactation consultant, and the difference between it and my off-the-shelf Ameda pump was astronomical. (The hospital-grade pump cost $2 per day- cheaper than formula!) Also, the more frequently you pump, the faster your supply should increase.

Have you been to see a lactation consultant, preferrably an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC)? She will be able to evaluate your nursing sessions and figure out if your supply is really low or not. My IBCLC did this by weighing the baby on a professional scale before and after nursing. She also showed me techniques for getting the baby to latch on better and nurse more effectively.

If your supply is low, a LC may suggest a supplemental nursing system (SNS). This is a little bag of pumped milk or formula that hangs around your neck on a cord. A tube comes out of the bag and you position it next to your nipple. when the baby latches on, he gets both tube and breast, allowing him to get all his nutrition a the breast. This reduces the risk of nipple preference from bottle-feeding, and gives your milk supply added stimulation as you supplement.

Hang in there, and go see an IBCLC! Nothing beats hands-on help!

After staying in the hospital for a week with jaundice and other complications after he was born, my LO's doctors were very concerned about the amount of milk he was getting. (Jaundice makes babies really sleepy so we had a hard time getting going with bfing, thank goodness for good lactation consultants.) To ensure that my he was getting enough to eat, I was told to rent a highly accurate scale at the hospital, then weigh him before and after nursing sessions to see how much he had actually consumed. It might be worth talking to your pediatrician about using such a scale for a while to determine if your supply really low.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianna74501 View Post
    Well, my baby was 5lb 5oz at birth by c section. She lost to 4lb 15oz so they wanted me to suppliment. I feel that I have a low supply because of the lack of milk I get when I pump and hand express. I get at most 3/4oz if im lucky. I never really stop producing milk, it just slows way way down and never comes out at more than drops. Every now and then I get more of a squirt but that is only a little at a time. Any help would be so greatly appreciate it. I dont want to be a failure at this for my daughter. She deserves the best and breast is best!!!
    Hi there, I'm using fennel, it actually helps with your let down reflex! Here's a link. Hope it helps!
    http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/milks..._f.html#fennel