Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much EBM to feed?

Default How much EBM to feed?

I have decided to become an exclusive pumper and am wondering how much at each feeding am I supposed to give. I have a 7wk old baby girl and she has been taking as little as 1.5oz to as much as 3.5oz at the first few EBM feedings. Please help.

Default Re: How much EBM to feed?

I have been exclusively pumping since the first week. I'm not sure what the experts on here say, but our ped said 2oz every 2hrs or 3oz every 3hrs. At 6 1/2 weeks we're up to about 5oz at at time. She usually eats every 3-4 hours when she eats that much. Though we still have feedings when she drinks only 2oz.

Default Re: How much EBM to feed?

I'm an EP (have been since DD was born 6 weeks ago) and we let her decide as long as she has good diapers and good weight gain. She tends to "graze" during the day (eats only an ounce or two every couple hours) and eat big at night (3-4oz). This makes her happy, and happy baby=happy mommy and daddy, so we're sticking with it. She doesn't eat much total -- only about 16-20oz/day, but is gaining well and healthy (knock wood) so we're not messing with it. Incidentally, I do produce enough to feed her more -- this is how much she wants to eat. I usually have about 4 extra ounces/day. I would supplement with formula if I weren't able to produce enough to satisfy her. HTH.