Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I can't decide!

Default Re: I can't decide!

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey's Mom View Post
    How many sippy cups of milk do you give and how many times does she nurse? I probably would be okay continuing to pump if I dropped some of my pumping sessions. DD sometimes drinks 15 ounces at daycare then nurses at home. Its hard for me to pump that much everyday. Some people have told me that she probably does not need that much bm at daycare if we nurse in the evenings and mornings.
    That is almost exactly my lo's intake, too - she takes 16 oz at dc and nurses mornings/nights and weekends. It's really hard getting the full 16 oz. lo is only 8 months, though, so we need to press on at least 4 more months. I'm hoping to ditch some pumping at about 1 year. I think a compromise would work well - I am pumping 3x's at work and once before bed. My plan as of now is to go to 1-2 pumpings at work and maybe the night one. That would be cutting the pumping in half. Then, I'd send some EBM and some regular milk for lo at dc.

Re: juice - I totally agree with you. I also send to dc for my toddler fresh fruit. I ask that they give her the fresh fruit snack with water in the afternoon. I am trying some compromise - toddler gets cookies and other such stuff, but I want her to get into the habit of good eating decisions like reaching for fruit and eating veggies. I think it's really important to establish this early on. My toddler only gets OJ and that's because she won't drink milk, so I find this is the only way to get the calcium and vitamin D in her. She never gets any other juice and she's 2.5 years old. Go with your gut and smile sweetly when the family gives you sh-t.

Amy

How many sippy cups of milk do you give and how many times does she nurse? I probably would be okay continuing to pump if I dropped some of my pumping sessions. DD sometimes drinks 15 ounces at daycare then nurses at home. Its hard for me to pump that much everyday. Some people have told me that she probably does not need that much bm at daycare if we nurse in the evenings and mornings.

Thanks!

Usually just 2 sippy cuys a day, but sometimes she only goes through 1. In the morning I pump between 3 and 4 oz. I give her that with lunch. Whatever is left over I give her with dinner, plus whatever I pump in the afternoon. We've been doing baby-led solids, but she just got to the point where she really likes food, though about 50% if the time she still has no interest in it. So there are many times when she just sucks down the milk from the cup and doesn't touch her food.

She has reverse cycled and she really associates sleep with nursing, so I nurse her about every 1 1/2 to 2 hours at night, and she stays on the breast the entire time of her long afternoon nap. I can usually only get her to nurse once or twice during the day, and even then it's only for about 5 minutes.

15 oz seems like a lot to me too, to have to pump that is. I know that my daycare kids all have these huge cups that hold about 8 oz and they go through about 4 cups of milk a day. Seems like a lot, but then again, they aren't nursing at night, so But if you think she needs that amount of bm, then by all means, give it her, if you still want to pump that much.
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

DD will be 1 next week. I do not know whether to or
    I know just how you feel. My dd's birthday is tomorrow and I'm sort of a basket case.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

I'm not there yet, but I was wondering this exact question. I didn't have a problem giving cow's milk in sippy after a year until I read this thread. I really wanted to stop pumping after a year. I heard that my supply should still be ok for when I'm home with her (mainly am and pm). Is that true. When I'm working I still nurse am, lunch, eve, and bed. I pump twice. Would I be ok to drop this 2 sessions after a year if I wanted to?
    Hi! I'm Shelley!
    Feeling like a and lovin' it!
    Cloth Diapering Convert

Married DH 8/5/2000
    DS 2/25/03 Always making me laugh!
    DD 1/23/07 Loves to Breastfed 15 months with no end in sight!

Quote Originally Posted by dinkey98 View Post
    I'm not there yet, but I was wondering this exact question. I didn't have a problem giving cow's milk in sippy after a year until I read this thread. I really wanted to stop pumping after a year. I heard that my supply should still be ok for when I'm home with her (mainly am and pm). Is that true. When I'm working I still nurse am, lunch, eve, and bed. I pump twice. Would I be ok to drop this 2 sessions after a year if I wanted to?
    From what I have read on other posts you can normally stop pumping after a year and still have plenty of milk for bf. Maybe someone with more experience on this topic will weigh in.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

My experience with pumping and supply was this:
    I began pumping a month or so prior to returning to work and then pumping at work when LO was 4 mos. Since work is part time, only a few days a week, I continued to pump on days I was home to keep up the supply. He took bottled BM at DC and nursed when I was available. I would pump a little extra when I went to bed (three hours after he went to bed). I noticed though, that his consumption of BM in bottles was exceeding what I could pump in a day (my work is demanding and I could not pump as often or as much as I would have liked) and my body's supply steadily decreased, to the point where I was only replacing the exact amount LO was drinking in bottles and there was no stores. I could not get the supply back up in the day or two in between workdays.
    At 7 mos age, he began needing formula bottles to make up the difference because there wasn't enough BM stores in freezer and I was pumping less and less each time. So here we are at nearly 9 mos age and he takes more formula bottles than BM bottles, and even when I try hard, I cannot pump very much. I am all but dried up now (daytime) but my body has kept up the demand for morning/night BF. I don't have to pump during the day at all because over the last 2 mos the supply decreased steadily, but my body still produces enough for our am/pm BF sessions which he takes. I suspect my production responded better to LO stimulation than pump stimulation.