Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't decide!

Default I can't decide!

DD will be 1 next week. I do not know whether to or

DD has always been on the small side but she eats a lot. The ped said to let her eat as much as she wants. My dilemna is whether to stop pumping or not. I have a love hate relationship with my pump. On one hand, I am tired of pumping! On the other hand, it has sort of become habit now, and I hate to stop because I think the bm is so good for DD.

Do any of you have any stories regarding whether you stopped pumping or continued to pump after the 1 year mark?

Also, DD used to take 3 bottles at daycare (breakfast, lunch, pm snack). Since she has started transitioning to the toddler room, they are trying to put her on the toddler schedule. So, the past couple of days they gave juice with the pm snack instead of bm. I am torn on this too. Not that juice is bad but I do not know if I want her to develop a taste for something like this early on IYKWIM. I think in the toddler room they get milk with breakfast and lunch and juice with snacks. I would kind of prefer her to have water instead of juice or fresh fruit instead of juice but then again I don't know if I should make a big deal of it or not.

I can't seem to make up my mind up about anything today! Any suggestions/advice?
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Default Re: I can't decide!

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey's Mom View Post
    I would kind of prefer her to have water instead of juice or fresh fruit instead of juice but then again I don't know if I should make a big deal of it or not.
    Don't have anything for 'ya on the first part, but the above - I don't think it should be any big deal to offer water instead of juice - I did that with my dd1 when she went to the toddler room. They were 100% fine with it - I took in my own sippy with water and they kept it in the fridge until snack time. But that's how my dc works - they are great. I would ask if I were you.

Amy

Good job for getting to a year. I worked with my first. When I hit the 1 year mark I was so ready to pack up the pump. So lo got regular milk in a sippy. He did fine with that and I was glad to have my prep time at work. I would ask for them to give lo water, it shouldn't be a big deal for them.

I would definitely ask for water since juice is not very good for human body especially when it is not fresh squeezed. It increases blood sugar too fast and bad for teeth.

my son in 13 months and we're still going strong with bf/pumping. i used to think we would be done at a year, but that was before we came up on a year and i realized he and i both wanted to keep going. i also have a love/hate relationship with my pump, but i love feeding my son MUCH more than i hate my pump. and it's so much healthier for the both of us. so the decision i made was to continue and let him decide when we will stop.

on the daycare question...my thought is that the daycare should do what you ask them to do (or you should find another daycare). if you don't want your lo having juice, then by all means tell them. they should follow your wishes. and don't worry about making a big deal - this is YOUR baby, you have every right to say what you want or don't want going into her body.

hope that helps and congrats on hitting the year mark!
    Last edited by Globemistress; November 1st, 2007 at 05:03 PM.

no advice really, we're not there yet, just wanted to say congrats

Your baby. Your food plan. Feel free to pack your own snacks and sippy cups and give instructions on what LO is to have or not have. If you want water, send water. Note how full the cup is when you go so you can see what disappeared in the day. If you are okay with juice (it does add good Vit C especially if it is all-natural no sugar added juice) then consider a 50-50 juice water mix. That's what I offer my DS at mealtime, but I only allow an oz or two. If your daycare won't support your choices, time for a new daycare.

Thanks everyone. I know my daycare will go along with whatever I tell them, so that is not an issue. I have just been given flack from others, mainly family, for being too strict on what DD eats. So, that is what I meant by stating I am not for sure if I should make a big deal about her getting juice at daycare since that is what they give all of the kids. I know juice is not bad, but it is not as good as fresh fruit. I read somewhere that if you give kids healthy foods when they are younger then they will make better eating choices when they are older. So, I guess, for that part of my question, I am just not sure if water or juice is better for her or if I should really be picky on that or not.

Thanks again everyone!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I'm almost there myself, so I kinda know what you're going through regarding the pumping. I work from home, so I don't really have to pump. I do, twice a day, so that dd can have some bm in a sippy cup with her meals. Everyone is telling me to go ahead and put her on cow milk, but why should I when she can have the real deal, kwim? I've decided since I'm only pumping twice a day, and it's only for meal times, I'll keep doing it. As for the juice, I do sometimes give my lo juice, though it's very watered down, but it's a special treat for her. I would suggest water or ebm in it's place for daycare. HTH!!
    ~Brandi~

Loving wife to K
    Proud stepmom to B, and proud mom to J and R-A
    and our newest addition C

Happily homeschooling
    Still and and

Ask me about Parkinson's Disease! Visit me at Life With Shaky!

Quote Originally Posted by brandila View Post
    I'm almost there myself, so I kinda know what you're going through regarding the pumping. I work from home, so I don't really have to pump. I do, twice a day, so that dd can have some bm in a sippy cup with her meals. Everyone is telling me to go ahead and put her on cow milk, but why should I when she can have the real deal, kwim? I've decided since I'm only pumping twice a day, and it's only for meal times, I'll keep doing it. As for the juice, I do sometimes give my lo juice, though it's very watered down, but it's a special treat for her. I would suggest water or ebm in it's place for daycare. HTH!!
    How many sippy cups of milk do you give and how many times does she nurse? I probably would be okay continuing to pump if I dropped some of my pumping sessions. DD sometimes drinks 15 ounces at daycare then nurses at home. Its hard for me to pump that much everyday. Some people have told me that she probably does not need that much bm at daycare if we nurse in the evenings and mornings.

Thanks!
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)