Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When is it empty?

Default When is it empty?

Hello everyone, i am a first time mom with a wonderful 2 week old boy! I have gained so much information from here but i have a question. I read that you should feed on one breast till it is emptied...how do i know when that is? This guy feeds on demand and sometimes he will eat (or at least suck) for 5 min then stop and sleep! When he does actually eat it is for about 10 min then he will break for 10, so i dont even know if they are ever even getting emptied. Thank you so much. Oh he hasnt lost weight so i know he is eating.

Default Re: When is it empty?

Well I tried to keep him there at least 10 -15 min. But I never feed both breast at one time... When he was hungry I feed one breast and the next feeding i went to the other...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

my d is like that too she will nurse for a little while then stop and i think she is done she starts again but i always try to tap her foot or rub her face so she will not fall asleep on me well i only do that during the daytime but at night she nurses when she wants and i let her fall asleep but she normally spits me out ya know also if you notice how your breast feels before your lo nurses and how it feels after than that will give you an idea that is how i know cause before my lo nurses i am hard and i feel heavy then when she is done i feel softer and light and i feel a lot better also i do pump pnce in a while when she does not nurse for very long

mom of christopher 3 yrs old
    trenton 16 months
    bethany 6 wks bf and going strong

Quote Originally Posted by mommy1016 View Post
    Hello everyone, i am a first time mom with a wonderful 2 week old boy! I have gained so much information from here but i have a question.

Congratulations on your newest arrival!

I read that you should feed on one breast till it is emptied...how do i know when that is?
    Basicly, your breast will feel much softer.

Here's some info on milk production (not an answer to your exact question, but it explains the principle behind it):
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/mi...ction-faq.html

This guy feeds on demand and sometimes he will eat (or at least suck) for 5 min then stop and sleep! When he does actually eat it is for about 10 min then he will break for 10, so i dont even know if they are ever even getting emptied. Thank you so much. Oh he hasnt lost weight so i know he is eating.
    Great!

When your baby drifts off to sleep after 5 minutes, you could try breast compressions to help keep him actively nursing for a bit longer. This resource will tell you how (and show you, too, if you click the link to the videos!):
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

HTH!