Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will a hospital grade pump help increase supply?

Default Re: Will a hospital grade pump help increase supply?

1-2 ounces per pumping session is very normal for a 5 week old baby. Tiny babies have tiny tummies...about the size of their little fists...so they prefer short, frequent feedings. If baby is exclusively breastfeeding, healthy, gaining well, etc, and you are able to pump 1-2ounces per session on top of that, I would say that your supply is good.

Tiana

Unfortunatly, she does not go to breast at all. 1-2 ounes is all I get.

Erin ,

1-2oz is still okay...how often are you pumping, and for how long? If baby isn't nursing at all yet, most mothers need to pump at least 10-12 times per day. May I ask what has happened that baby isn't nursing at all? Do you have any local help in encouraging her to take the breast? (A local LLL leader or IBCLC?)

You might want to post in the relactation/induced lactation forum. There are some very kind ladies over there that are working at getting their supplies up and encouraging baby to latch onto the breast. It sounds like you could really use the support.

Hang In There. You really are doing a great job, mama.

Tiana

Hello,

Here is what I posted on my other posting. I pump every 2-3 hours averaging 9-11 pumps a day. I use the Medela PIS advanced.

Hello,

I am hoping I can get some help and encouragement here. My beautiful daughter is 5 weeks old and is currently bottle-fed expressed breast milk. When she was born, she had a low birth weight (5lbs 5.7ounces) and was given a bottle in the nursery (GRRR!) and since then has never been able to latch for a full feeding. I had a lactation consultation and was told that she had a small mouth, improper suck, my nipples are big, she is a biter, she is used to the instant gratification, and has minor breast aversion. The lactation consultant said she might be able to latch after she gets bigger. Therefore, I have come to terms that I may just have to pump and feed her the breast milk that way.

However, my milk supply seems very low for how far post partum I am. In the morning, I will get an ounce out of each breast and during the day, I get 1 and half ounces combined. My daughter currently takes 3-4 ounces every 3-4hours (I sometimes have to supplement with formula (cringe!). I pump every 2-3 hours, have tried fenugreek, oatmeal, massaging, warm cloths, showering right before and never seem to get any more. I am afraid that I will have to stop pumping soon to save my sanity.

In addition, I may have thrush. My nipples are pink, sometimes itchy, breasts are warm to touch, small spots on them and I occasionally get a sharp shooting pain in them. My doctor gave me some Nystatin cream but so far not much progress. I am not sure how I would have thrush since she barely latches (she also has no symptoms)…but I did have to take antibiotics for a bladder infection right at delivery.

I also think my flange may be too small, I currently use the 30mm size but my nipples rub against the sides. I tried using the 36mm but the Lactation consultant thought that they may be too big!

I know this is a lot…but I am so ready to give up! HELP!!!

How long have you been using the Nystatin cream on your nipples? If it's been longer than a day or two, you would probably have seen some progress by now if it were thrush. If you think your pump flange is too small, that could be causing the nipple trauma. You might want to call the company you purchased your pump from. They may be able to help you figure out if it is indeed the size of the pump flange that is causing your troubles (too small a flange can lead to low supply, too) and help you determine what size you do need.

If it is thrush, your daughter will likely need to be treated, even if she doesn't have any symptoms. Thrush can be passed on through bottle nipples, pacifiers, pump parts, and through the laundry. Be sure to sanitize your bottles and pump parts carefully after each use, and wash anything that comes in contact with your nipples in hot, soapy water. Many mothers find that taking probiotic helps combat thrush, in addition to prescribed medications. Also, you should know that there are oral medications available for thrush that are sometimes more effective than the topical creams. You might as your doctor about these if the Nystatin doesn't seem to be helping.

If you go through a full course of treatment for thrush and see no improvement, you may actually have a bacterial infection, and not yeast. Consult with your health care provider about this possibility.

Five weeks old is prime time for a growth spurt. If your LC is correct that it was a combination of small mouth/large nipples that contributed to your daughter's inability to latch well, you might give latching another go around over the next few weeks. There's a good chance that her mouth will be getting bigger during this time.

I know pumping is stressful for you, but Pumping every 2-3 hours is probably insufficient for a 5 week old baby. Every 1-2 would probably be more helpful.

You might want to post in the pumping/milk storage forum to ask other ladies about their pumping schedules.

HTH. Hang in there,

Tiana

Thanks! I will make sure to go over these infection concerns with my Dr. on my six week appointment this upcoming week.

I will also try to start pumping more. I find it so hard sometimes with all of the other baby needs (not that i mind! ). I also attend school full time. But I am determend (sp?).

You're welcome. Please keep us posted as to how things go at the doctor's office. You're baby is blessed to have a mother so determined to give her the best!

Tiana

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

my LO didn't latch on until she was 5 weeks old. she had a weak suck but we
    got there eventually. Once she latched on, my supply went up immediately! Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by LLLTiana View Post
    You're welcome. Please keep us posted as to how things go at the doctor's office. You're baby is blessed to have a mother so determined to give her the best!

Tiana

The Doctor's appointment went great; I am healing well, stitches and all! However, my doctor does not think I have thrush (I saw the nurse practioner last time). She thinks that my breasts are sore from all the pumping. All the reason to get this lo to latch soon!

I did find out why my daughter was so tiny; it turns out my placenta had infarctions (dead spots) on it!!! This just makes my lo so much more amazing and of a miracle to me! My future pregnancies will all be closely monitored in case this happens again.
    Last edited by FeistyErin; November 8th, 2007 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebranden View Post
    The Doctor's appointment went great; I am healing well, stitches and all! However, my doctor does not think I have thrush (I saw the nurse practioner last time). She thinks that my breasts are sore from all the pumping. All the reason to get this lo to latch soon!
    Do you have a local LLL leader or IBCLC with whom you could consult about pumping? Pumping is not supposed to cause sore nipples. You could have a pump flange that is too big or too small, or you could have the settings adjusted too high. Another option would be to contact the pump company and speak to a representative. She might be able to help you determine what the problem is.

I did find out why my daughter was so tiny; it turns out my placenta had infarctions (dead spots) on it!!! This just makes my lo so much more amazing and of a miracle to me! My future pregnancies will all be closely monitored in case this happens again.
    Glad to hear that you're starting to get some answers. Is your little one doing well now?

Tiana