Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: A bit confused...

Default A bit confused...

Ok, so I am feeding my LO jarred baby food. He is getting much better at it and eating more each day. When does he get to try items that actually require chewing (or gumming)? For instance, when can he eat crackers or bread? When can I give him little peices of chicken and vegetables? He can't quite pinch yet (very close, though). So I now I need to wait, but then what? I'm soooo scared of choking!

Default Re: A bit confused...

How old is your baby? My son is seven months old, and he eats lots of things he can hold on to--he loves watermelon and cantaloupe, apple slices, banana, green beans. He mostly gnaws, but it's a step. I also have a mesh feeder we use for things we don't want him to choke on, but when you give him things to eat, know that he will gag, and it will scare you at first (or did me anyway ).

He is 6 months old. What do you put in the mesh feeder? Are the apple slices and green beans big so he can hold onto them without putting the entire thing in his mouth?

I put banana and sweet potato in the feeder (not together lol), sometimes avocado, but he likes that better if it's mixed with banana and a little breast milk, and mushed together for spoon-feeding. The green beans I roast with a little olive oil, then give them to him whole and let him chow down. He loves them, but he can't bite them off to choke on them, so it's more chewing and kind of sucking them like straws. Watermelon I give to him in big french-fry shaped wedges, and I make sure it's pretty firm (if not, you could always use the feeder for it). Apple I give in thick slices, with the peel removed at the top but left at the bottom for him to hold on to. He really likes that and watermelon for gnawing when his gums are bothering him.

The gagging can be scary, but with pps--it is normal part of learning. I fully believe that letting them pick up and decide what to put in their mouth is the most natural way to learn about solids. I am the only one of my friends who did not spoon feed and now I am the only one who's lo is not a picker eater. She has learned to trust what we put out for her is good and tries anything at least once.

Check out the do's and don't for self feeding...also makes a family mealtime a truly happy time and quicker than having to feed the lo and then yourself.:tumbsup

http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html

DD1-Nursed 12/06-9/08
    DD2-Nursed 12/08 - 10/10

DS - Successful VBA2C May 5/11 and

I agree with delias mom. I don't think I ate a hot meal for months until I let my lo feed herself. I started with slimy things that were easy for her to get back out with her gag reflex- cantelope, banana, avacado. She caught on pretty quickly.

If you are very concerned about choking you could do a infant first aid class. It's something we should probably all do anyway, but knowing that you know what to do really helps with the paranoia, iykwim.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous