Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Trying not to cave, but...

Question Trying not to cave, but...

Okay, I have a few questions. My baby is coming up on 23 weeks right now and I, of course, am running into the solids battle with my family. First, how do you count "6 months"? Is it weeks, b/c 24 weeks is just a week and a half from now, or is it calendar months, because he won't be 6 months until the end of Nov. or when he is almost 27 weeks. The issues I have is that I work at home for my mom and rarely can get ANYTHING accomplished because my baby only sleeps for 20-30 min at a time during the day. Now, my mom thinks that the reason for this is because he is such a big baby (about 18 1/2 lbs) and he metabolizes breast milk too fast and is ready for solids. He is growing fine (obviously) and just last week got his bottom two teeth. He is not yet sitting up on unassisted but is close, probably 4 weeks away. She thinks that if he were to start having "meals" it would regulate his schedule to where he would nap for a few hours at a time.

Are there signs a baby is ready for solids? Is one of those short naps? I have read that rice cereal to help a baby sleep is a myth, but I am going to start him on oatmeal and avocados when the time is right. Am I splitting hairs here? I ripped my FIL's head off a few weeks ago b/c he was trying to feed him solids, and I was firm about 6 months. Now, I feel guilty because I need to work, but I really wanted to hold out for the 6 mo. mark. I know there is nothing "magic" about a number, but I just want to do what is best for my baby boy.

Any ideas on what I should do? Is her opinion right?

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.

Default Re: Trying not to cave, but...

She thinks that if he were to start having "meals" it would regulate his schedule to where he would nap for a few hours at a time.
    No, she's wrong, or better yet in a softer way of putting it she has some outdated notions about solids.

There are several signs for when you will be able to decipher if your LO is ready for introducing solids, and I stressed introducing because depening upon how you go (Baby Led vs. purees, or a combo of the two) your LO isn't going to really eat anything for quite a while. At this age I'm sure he still has his tongue thrust reflex and anything you try to give him will just mush back out of his mouth. Introducing solids is a lot about exploration and your child learning about solid foods than it really is nutrition and filling up their little tanks for quite some time. Even at 12 months of age the majority of a childs diet is still breastmilk, I think it is recommended to be about 75% of their diet still at that time.

Here are the developmental signs your LO may be ready for solids:
    - Baby can sit up well without support.
    - Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    - Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    - Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    - Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.

Here are some links about introducing solids:
    Is my baby ready for solid foods?
    How to introduce solids
    Rapley Guidelines for Baby Led Solids

Here's a link for what you can introduce and when:
    Rapley food introduction schedule

BTW, my son is 15 months, eats a plethora of solids, and still zonks out best for a nap when he has a tummy full of mommy's milk.
    Last edited by LunaticLibrarian; November 1st, 2007 at 08:34 AM.

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

wow that is all great info and all right on!
    I would add that your baby's body is not ready to handle solids (no matter what anyone says they did with their baby) until 6 months, by the calendar (not 24 weeks). Thats also the recommendation of the AAP.
    Stefanie, momma to

deacon james 09.22.06

Just chiming in to second the pp... 6 months goes by the calendar month, not counting by weeks

I agree with waiting 6 full months, but I also don't think something magically changes overnight when they turn 6 months. Watch for those readiness signs: sitting up, pincer grasp, etc.

And for the record, my son has been having three meals a day, plus 8-10 nursings and he still doesn't sleep well

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I agree with everyone else. I've been feeding solids since 4 months (because I thought it would help Ava sleep better), but it hasn't made much difference. She eats solids three times a day, plus nurses 11 times a day and still gets up to eat three times a night.

my kids started to eat cereal my first at 2 months my second on at 2 weeks and their ped said okay just watch for signs of allgery etc my first started eating solids at 4 months and my 2 at i think he was 2 and a half months old and like before their ped said just to watch them then my 2 one started eating table food and toddler food at 10 months old and nothing happened to them also i think too that it is up to you and to you lo if they are starting to show signs of wanting food than try just look for that gag reflux that babies have if he spits it out then he is not ready but also i would talk to your ped my kids doctor is great she listens and advises as well but she also lets me take care of my kids but you know your lo best no one else does you do what you feel is right good luck

mom of christopher 8/20/04 7 lbs 12 oz 21 inches now 3 and 43 lbs and 44 inches tall
    trenton 6/5/06 8 lbs 12 oz 20 and a half inches now 16 months 33 lbs and 32 inches tall
    bethany 9/17/07 8lbs 2 oz 19 and a half inches now 6 weeks and i bet she is about 10 lbs and only bf yah

My daughter had no interest in food until almost 10-11 months (she refused to eat pureed food of any kind). My son, however, began solids at 5 1/2 months. It was earlier than we wanted...but he made the choice (by grabbing and eating an egg off of my daughter's plate one morning). He was already sitting up on his own, then, though...ate the eggs without the tongue thrust reflex, however, he didn't have the pincher grasp. But, you know...baby's won't do what they're not ready to do. He ate those eggs and was very proud of himself (he didn't eat all of them, but he was eating some).

Don't rush it. Baby will let you know when he/she is ready for solids. Until then, just don't listen to your mom. Oh, and my son eats 3 meals a day and nurses during the day as well and still wakes up at night. Food does not help sleep.

You may also want to look into "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weissbluth. I don't agree with the CIO, but it does give you more information on infant sleep deprivation. Some kids will sleep 14 hours a day by sleeping 11 hours at night and then taking the other 3 hours in naps in 20-30 minute intervals. My son sleep 11 hours at night and takes 2 long naps (he's 10 months old now...). Each child will have different sleep habits...but as long as they are getting enough sleep, there's really not much you can do aside from that.

Thanks for everyone's responses. After reading all this information, I do not think he is ready yet. He does not have the pincher grasp, is not quite sitting up and still has the tongue thrust reflex. He does watch us eat, and opens his mouth when we do, but does not show real interest in trying to get the food or eat it. He does sleep very well at night (when he is not teething) from about 7:00 PM to 6:30 AM with only a slight half waking around 3:00 AM for a snack. He is not high maintenance, but he does love to play and have mommy's attention, and I would much rather have it this way than any other.

Thanks again for all the responses!

Emily, mommy to
    Jeremija Charles - 5/30/07 - nursed 26 mo, and
    Aleksandar Hayes - 12/13/09 - nursing strong!

"Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you are going to do now and do it." - William Durant

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way, if you don't, you'll find an excuse.