Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First solids for 6m old

Default First solids for 6m old

I would like to introduce solids for the first time to my 6m old. He got his first tooth out yesterday! If I feed him one teaspoon of some kind of solid everyday - how long should I do this for? Should I still advise day-care to feed same amount of breastmilk when I'm at work? He's getting 5oz every 4 hours now - is that regular for 6m old?

Default Re: First solids for 6m old

We share an important date--my son also got his first tooth Wednesday!

It's largely a matter of preference and what you're comfortable with, but we started at 6 months (he's 7 months now) with some avocado, waited a few days, then tried banana (which he loves, especially mixed with avocado and mushed together with a little breast milk) and sweet potatoes. He also eats--and loves--oatmeal made with breast milk and baby applesauce. We do pretty much baby-led but we're not purists; he uses a spoon and we're not opposed to purees if he likes them.

At first we gave him a little food, then usually had a break of a day or so before even giving him the same food again. Now we feed him fruit about mid-morning, and oatmeal and/or vegetables at night. He loves roasted green beans, watermelon, apple slices, cantaloupe (probably other things I'm not thinking of now too ).

The main thing I would say is have fun, and let him have fun with it. It is really fun to watch them try new things and see what they like and what they don't (for us, pureed pears).

Oh yeah--we also give him a little water in a sippy cup to have when he eats.

I'm not positive, but I think you don't want the daycare to decrease the amount of milk he's getting. That's where the bulk of his nutrition will continue to come from for the next several months. We usually squeeze in feeding about an hour after he nurses or has a bottle so it doesn't disrupt his nursing schedule.
    Last edited by Thomas's Mum; November 2nd, 2007 at 10:24 AM. Reason: typo

Here's great links with info on first foods and starting solids in general.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thank you all! Finally managed to start him on mashed ripe bananas and he had this look of surprise. But he seemed to like it so that's great.

When you say "oatmeal," which kind do you mean? Special baby oatmeal or adult Quaker oats?
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

I use baby oatmeal.