Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting my 16 month old

Question Starting my 16 month old

I tried BF my DS1 when he was born, but he refused to latch at all. I gave up trying after a while. When my DS2 was born, he latched well and at 6 weeks old we are doing well. My DS1 is now 16 months old still takes a bottle of milk in the evening and I've wondered if there would be health benefits for him if I gave him expressed breast milk instead of cows milk? So, does anyone know are there health benefits or is it too late for him to receive any benefits getting only 4-6oz a day?

I'm not comfortable with trying to start him BF now, but I would like to give him my milk if it will be helpful to his development.

If it is, my next question would be how to go about it. My supply is equal to my DS2's demand. I've thought about pumping inbetween feedings in the morning when my supply seems to be higher, but I worry about the quality going done for the next feeding of my DS2. Is this a good idea, or is there a better idea of how to express an extra 4-6 oz a day?

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: Starting my 16 month old

He'll definitely benefit from it! If you start pumping your body will adjust to the new demand, I guess you can do it in the morning after the baby eats, but I don't think you'll get that amount of milk in one pump session just yet, at least until your body adjust, or maybe you will! Just give it a try. Good luck!

You bet! Take a look at this! http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...nefactors.html

I wish you well!

Thanks for the encouragement!