Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Needs more meals per day?

Default Needs more meals per day?

So we had a WIC appt again today. The last time I was there I got my butt handed to me for not feeding DS baby cereal. Today, we saw a nutritionist and a student nutritionist. Both were very open to the BLS idea and were interested in finding out more info on it! (yaay right??) Then they told me DS needs to be eating 3 meals a day PLUS snacks. Now my little man would munch ritz crackers all day long if I'd let him, but those are really a special treat he gets once in a while...I'm mad at gerber so he's not getting any puffys right now either. He eats breakfast ALMOST every morning though lately he wants to nurse for 3 hours (or more!! ) in the morning and just stay in bed! So we've been skipping breakfast more or less, for lunch he usually shares yogurt and/or fresh fruit with my Grandma and I, and then he eats a good deal of whatever we eat at dinner. They also told me I need to give him snacks BEFORE nursing so he doesn't need to nurse so much (he's still nursing every 2-3 hrs round the clock). Wouldn't filling him up before nursing cause him to nurse less? I'm in no rush to wean him, and I don't plan on doing it any time soon. Does he really need MORE solids at 9.5 months? He's 20lbs 5 oz as of this morning, so it's not like he's under weight or anything. (10th percentile for height and 90th for weight)

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Default Re: Needs more meals per day?

Yeah - listen to your gut mama. He's doing fine. Let him nurse as much as he wants and when you do feed him - feed him yummy whole healthy foods - after you nurse.

(nothing against WIC as a whole BUT Keep in mind WIC are the one's who told me I couldn't nurse while pregnant or I'd kill my baby )

I think they do the best they can with the info they're given... next time fill them in on the benefits of Almost EBF for little babes and nursing beyond one.

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

If he's happy and meeting milestones I would say that he's fine. BM should be the primary source of nutrition until 1 year of age. Trust your instincts mama, I know you do whats best for Xman all of the time.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

He's fine. WIC needs a new nutritionist.

They may be concerned about iron- and that is why they are pushing cereal :duno: either way he sounds more than fine with what you are doing.

Oh and if you are boycotting gerber - beechnut makes puffs, so does Wal-Mart.
    Allie, moma to Owen born 11/23/2006 and breast feeding ever since. .

No time for flash cards! ~fun and learning for toddlers and preschoolers.

dr sears said that gerber puff teach babies to eat chips at the LLL confrence that I was at.
    at 9 months my dd was eating very little.
    Do what you think is best, The ladies at wic have very little breastfeeding training!

Hey did you know you can count your LLL group as a group wic session.

At least that is how it is in ohio. You just get the leader to sign a paper that says you were at the meeting.
    Pretty cool.
    Andrea

YOU know what you're doing. Trust yourself, Mama.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...