Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: embarassment

Default embarassment

I am beginning to feel a lot of embarassment over my toddler asking to nurse while we are out in public or even just around friends and family. (even though some friends and family are very supportive). I have tried to get her to use a word, but she doesn't talk much yet, and I am not interested in signs (I found it too much stress to do). What she does is if I pick her up she points to my breast and says "uh?" and then she even tries to latch on (picture me holding her in my arms, she dives for my breast, nearly falling out of my arms, and tries to get at me with my shirt on). I don't mind her wanting to nurse, but I don't feel comfortable with her doing this. I don't have any one else I know even remotely close to where I live that is BF a toddler. I already stand out as wierd because of this and some other different parenting choices (like babywearing).

How do you all deal with your LO diving at your breasts, making it VERY obvious to everyone around you what your LO wants? By the way this is not a late response she has...its the first thing she does that lets me know what she wants. If I wait, she sticks her hand down my shirt (or tries to!) Sometimes she even bites me and leaves wet marks on my shirt. To top things off now people know I am expecting and so it makes me even stranger that I am nursing my toddler.

help, please!
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

Default Re: embarassment

How about trying to give your DD another way to communicate? Pointing to your breast is a way of signing ... so if you want something not as obvious you can try another sign that you make up or use the ASL sign for milk (which is opening and closing a fist - think about milking a cow).

I forget how old your DD is now? One of the books I read had some suggestions about how to help teach a toddler to be able to wait a little to nurse and (if you want) begin to set limits.

I've found it helps to have snacks and water in a sippy cup. Often when my DS is asking to nurse and its not a time or place that I feel comfortable nursing, he's willing to wait a bit if he gets snacks and/or water.

Ah - here's the book I read (I checked a copy out of my local library): Mothering your Nursing Toddler.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

No advice, just a My lo tries to pull up my shirt when she wants to nurse. If that doesnt work, she tries to lay herself down, so your not alone

Thanks for the help everyone! My LO is 21 months. I am going to try to teach her some other way to ask for nursing, and to only let her nurse when she asks that way. I'll see if that works anyways!

Thanks for the link too, thats where I got the idea to try.
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!