Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: drinking like a newborn

Default drinking like a newborn

My son is 17 months now, but recently, he has been asking for "nan-nan" the whole day through! In the mornings when he awakens at about 4:30 or 5:30am, he would drink non-stop till about 7:30am!

He eats on average 3 solids meals and 2 snacks a day. In addition, he nurses about 5-6 times. So, I don't think it's from hunger that he wants to nurse.

Could it be he's still teething? He's got 16 teeth all in, isn't it a bit early to have his full 20??
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

Default Re: drinking like a newborn

Although my LO doesn't nurse for very long (and I do limit her sometimes, telling her she can only nurse for a certain amount of time, although its not what everyone wants to do of course). But my LO does ask A LOT in the past few months. Sometimes I distract her, but often I let her. It seems to me its probably even 10 times in 24 hours that we nurse, sometimes more, sometimes more like 6.

My LO also eats a ton of solids, although a few months older than your son.

What I do notice is that lately we have had a lot of changes in our lives and she gets upset and wants comfort. Also she does nurse a lot when she is getting teeth for sure. I have heard of others getting their 2 year molars that early although I was told it is on average closer to 2. But everyone is different of course!

I also notice that when I am not spending as much time as I should with my LO she wants to nurse more.

Perhaps there is something in your own life that you could pinpoint that may be causing him to need the comfort. Or maybe its just teeth. I find its just one of those things that you just don't know until its over.

I hope that you are able to figure it out to meet your own family's needs!
    Mommy to 3 beautiful girls!

It could be teething, or it could just be developmental. My DD (20 months) will go for days only wanting to nurse 3X or so, and then she'll have a spurt of 5-6X per day. It's usually rainy days, or days when things are a little more boring than usual around the house that she nurses frequently- as if she's using it as a time-filler on a dull day. I find that if I don't want to nurse, I need to use distraction. I take her outside for half an hour- that usually does the trick. As to the all-morning nursing session, could it be that he's just slowly savoring his waking up? I just discovered that if I sleep on my stomach and take DD into bed with me, she will eventually realize that she's not going to get to the breast, and she curls up next to me and goes to sleep.

I have heard from some of my friends who nursed toddlers that it's common to go through a stage of constant nursing at that age. They told me, at around 16-18 months expect LO to possibly nurse like a newborn for a while. So when I saw your post I said, oh maybe that was what they were talking about.

If it is, then I think the theory is that as your LO branches out and becomes more independant, he goes through phases where he needs more security and "regresses" a little to reassure himself that you're still close at hand and he's safe. It's a normal part of the growing process I think. Could also be teething, like you said. They definitely nurse more when that's happening!

Hang in there! Either way, it will pass. When we're having a few particularly high-intensity nursing days and I'm feeling a little burned out I try a little distraction, like planning a trip to the aquarium or something. Then she's too excited to care about nursing for a while.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

DD is going on 19 mos and teething like crazy (canines and we are still working on molars) and nursing all the time. Her ped said that this is really common at this age because of the increasing independence and needing that "instant comfort" that the breast provides.
    Robin

Thanks ladies! It's reassuring just to be able to hear that it's "normal".

I had thought that it could be because we had visitors staying with us for a few days. But now they are gone, and he's still the same!

Most plausible reason seems to be that he needs to reconnect because of his growing independence...

I hope it will pass soon, because I do get sore from all that sucking.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

My son is 16 months & I wish he only nursed 5 times a day!
    Steff, proud mom to:
    Ian (6) born naturally
    breastfed from 7/3/06 to 6/16/08
    &
    Erin (4) born naturally (with Hypnobirthing)
    breastfed from 5/18/08 to around 5/18/10
    &
    Seamus (3), my allergy baby, born naturally (with slacker Hypnobirthing) breastfed from 12/28/09 to 8/20/11
    &
    Connor (1) breastfed from 12/28/11 to current

Ian's age ticker Erin's age ticker Seamus' age ticker
    Connor's age ticker

I just read "Mothering Your Nursing Toddler" (highly recommend!) and she says that it's very common for a baby in their second year of life (12-24 mo.) to nurse sometimes as much as a newborn. Just knowing that makes me feel good as Henry starts his second year of life.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807