Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Really want this to work !

Thumbs up Really want this to work !

Hello Ladies,
    I am new to this board! In anutshell I am here because I want to make EVERY ATTEMPT to continue BF'ing as long as nature intended me to!

This is my second DD. With my first I was uniformed and only nursed for 4 weeks.

I would like to continue I just can't seem to relax about nursing. I over worry .
    My DD is 3 weeks 6 days old
    My concerns:
    Low milk supply? I know sometimes you cannot get any expressed milk from pumping but I only get an qoz and a half combined. I rarely pump anymore as that was all I did was feed , pump , feed , pump. I honestly do not think it was building anything but stress.

I made the decision to stop and let nature take its course as long as Marilyn was happy and diapers were good.

She averages an ounce a day weight gain .

Questions:
    She still wants to eat every 2 hours ( not growth spurt that is every hour) I do not mind this , I am just concerned she is not getting enough that is why she is always hungry.

Her BM's have slowed down to 2-4 a day from 6-10?

She sometimes is not content after nursing really rooting for more...if I let her continue to suck she would be on the boob all day!

They say to listen for gulping ! She does but not for very long?

What will the signs be that my milk is going away or not enough?

How can I continue as I am worried I will not biuld any more supply than I have now .

I know this was a very spuratic post but Marilyn will be up any minute!

I REALLY enjoy nursing and want to continue for as long as possible!

THANKS LADIES

Default Re: Really want this to work !

Here are the signs your baby is getting enough milk:

- Nurses as often as she wants for as long as she wants, at least 8 to 12 times per day. (Some of these may be "comfort" feedings, meaning she's not really starving/hungry, but that's still important for maintaining milk supply.)

- Has 6-7 wet and 3-4 messy diapers per day (Messy diapers really start to slow down at about 3 weeks old - this is normal.)

- Gains weight appropriately (Check with your MD if you're concerned. An ounce a day is excellent!!)

I didn't pump for my twins and I had enough milk. Dump the pump if it stresses you. (Sounds like you already did this!)

My babies get super fussy from about 3 weeks to 3 months old. FUSSINESS DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN SHE'S HUNGRY!! It means she's waking up to what a cold, different world this is from the womb. She needs to be close to you and nurse a lot. In a few months, she'll start playing with toys, sitting up, crawling, etc. This is just a stage and it won't last forever! Enjoy sitting around all day with your baby while you can!

Good luck,

Quote Originally Posted by angiefaith View Post
    Hello Ladies,
    I am new to this board! In anutshell I am here because I want to make EVERY ATTEMPT to continue BF'ing as long as nature intended me to!

This is my second DD. With my first I was uniformed and only nursed for 4 weeks.

I would like to continue I just can't seem to relax about nursing. I over worry .
    My DD is 3 weeks 6 days old
    My concerns:
    Low milk supply? I know sometimes you cannot get any expressed milk from pumping but I only get an qoz and a half combined. I rarely pump anymore as that was all I did was feed , pump , feed , pump. I honestly do not think it was building anything but stress.

I made the decision to stop and let nature take its course as long as Marilyn was happy and diapers were good.

She averages an ounce a day weight gain .

Questions:
    She still wants to eat every 2 hours ( not growth spurt that is every hour) I do not mind this , I am just concerned she is not getting enough that is why she is always hungry.

This is normal, my DS would eat every 2.5-3 hours at that age, plus babies like to suck to comfort themselves so she might just want to be with mommy

Her BM's have slowed down to 2-4 a day from 6-10?
    2-4 is still ok, how many wets is she having? If she's having about 6 wets and at least 1-2 bm a day then she is getting enough

She sometimes is not content after nursing really rooting for more...if I let her continue to suck she would be on the boob all day!
    She could be trying to get your body ready for a growth spurt by nursing more so you'll produce more? I say let her hang out on the boob as much as possible or you can stand.

They say to listen for gulping ! She does but not for very long?
    Is she falling asleep or just going into comfort sucking. You can do things to keep her actively eating. This may be why she is hungry so often. Strip her down to her diaper when she eats and rub between her shoulder blades with a wet cloth to help keep her awake and eating.
    What will the signs be that my milk is going away or not enough?

How can I continue as I am worried I will not biuld any more supply than I have now .
    Eating oatmeal helps me increase my supply. Some women have good luck with fenugreek a herbal supplement and Mother's Milk tea but I can't stand the taste of the tea.
    I know this was a very spuratic post but Marilyn will be up any minute!

I REALLY enjoy nursing and want to continue for as long as possible!

THANKS LADIES
    Try to relax and enjoy this time with both of your daughters. BFing is hard work but it sounds like you're really dedicated and you'll make it work. Congrats on the birth of your daughter. Keep coming on these boards, you'll find so many suggestions and support! HTH!

Amy married to my bestfriend since 10/30/04

Proud SAHM to DS born 2/17/07 and DD born 9/11/08 Both weaned together 11/2011
    Currently milk, peach, peanut and tree nut free. DD has outgrown her wheat, cheese, egg, garlic, and citrus allergies

don't be afraid to call your local leader shes around to help!
    3 weeks is a prime time for growth spurt they need to nurse round the clock.
    If baby is gaining weight and having poops your doing fine.
    Count diapars thats the way to know that baby is getting the milk they need.
    IF you have any more ?'s ask away!

About the every two hours--some babies nurse this often for a long time. DS would occassionally stretch things out once a day when he got older (3-4) hours, but the vast majority of the time he nursed every two hours. He was still nursing 10-12 times a day at a year, weighed 26 pounds, and was doing great. He mostly just nursed for a few minutes at a time.

Do you have a LLL group in your area? Attending meetings always gives me a big boost in confidence. This trust you are learning with your body and your lo will serve you well, but it can be tough in the beginning. Hang in there!

Hi there

Here is an article that you might find helpful:

http://www.llli.org/FAQ/enough.html

HTH!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!