Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poop. . .

Question Poop. . .

So what should I look for and what are some signs of an imbalance?

I know BF babies should have mustard yellow seedy looking poops but DS has only had a couple of those. He doesn't poop often and can go a couple days without needing too.

Currently his poop is more liquidy, dark yellow/greenish. Does this mean he's not getting enough of the hind milk?

If it does mean this then how can I fix that? I mean I can nurse him for 1-3 hours sometimes usually all on the same breast. Does this mean I have more fore milk than normal? Should I pre pump so he gets to the hind milk faster?

Default Re: Poop. . .

Everything sounds in the normal range to me- is he gaining fine? I wouldn't worry about the hindmilk unless he is not gaining well.

Around 6 weeks babies will often stop pooping so much. Some still go after every feeding some go once a week. As long as there are no signs of discomfort, the baby is wetting enough and not straining hard to poop you are ok.
    Allie, moma to Owen born 11/23/2006 and breast feeding ever since. .

No time for flash cards! ~fun and learning for toddlers and preschoolers.

Yeah I know that but I thought that if the ratio was off too much then the poop would change. I know it should look seedy and yellow but his doesn't. So I don't know if this is in the range of normal or not.

He is gaining weight which hasn't worried me it just the consistancy of the poop, LOL.

Baby Stats:
    Evan David
    9/2/07
    5:04am UC waterbirth
    7lbs 15oz; 19" long

As of 10/26/07
    10lbs 9oz and 22¼" long

Ahh, a website to keep in your favorites:

http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

PS. Welcome to the forum, and CONGRATS on the family of 7... wow!