Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Yeast

Default Yeast

Has anyone else had problems with yeast? I've been dealing with it for about a month now, but it wasn't diagnosed until about a week ago because it was only on one breast. Now that it is on the other side, they're finally trying to treat me for it. My dr prescribed Dr Newman's cream, which isn't doing anything for it. Both breasts had been bleeding, but now they're oozing puss out of the cracks in them (sorry if that's TMI). I'm afraid I might have to stop breastfeeding because it just hurts so much to nurse. Of course, now that they've got this puss crap coming out, I'm going to have to give her expressed breastmilk because I don't want that in her mouth. But it hurts even more to pump than it does to nurse.

Default Re: Yeast

I am sooo sorry you are dealing with this, I know it can be horrible and it sounds like you've got it bad! You can make it through this, though.

I had thrush, which is an overgrowth of yeast. If you have it on your nipples, your baby probably has it in her mouth as well and if you don't treat both of you, you will simply pass it back and forth. Talk to your baby's ped about what you can give daughter. Watch her bottom for signs of thrush in the diaper area (open raw spots and bumpy red rash).

Here is an LLL page with links to several articles about thrush, treating it, etc.
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBthrush.html

The important thing is to stay persistant. I dealt with thrush 3 seperate times and it drove me crazy. The first time I would be in tears nursing because it was so irritating and painful. Wash all your clothes, particularly bras, shirts, towels in hot water and add a cup of vinegar to every wash. Rinse your nipples in half vinegar/half water after feeds (once they are healed enough- vinegar might hurt with cracked nipples!), boil pacifiers, bottles, bottleparts, pump parts, toys baby puts in mouth for 20 minutes/day. These are all things other than the medication that you can do to help get the yeast out of your environment.

I'm not positive, but I think it might be best to keep nursing rather than pumping, even though there is gross stuff coming out of the cracks, but maybe someone else will chime in on that point.

Good luck and I hope you do continue to breastfeed through this. Once you've got it beat, it is soooooo much better!!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks for your reply. My lactation consultants called my daughter's pediatrician's office and they said they don't treat the baby unless she shows symptoms. I've been doing some reading that indicates that the baby doesn't necessarily have symptoms in order to pass it back and forth. So I called the pediatrician's office today and asked about it and they never called me back. He's a quack and we were going to be switching anyway, but it's really irritating right now.

I'm guessing the reason the meds don't seem to be helping is because she keeps passing it back to me, but I'm not sure. I'm going to try to get to our breastfeeding clinic in the morning and see what they say about it...

I dealt with serious yeast for 5 months. I found it best to pit the OB and Ped. against each other. I would tell one that the other had diagnosed yeast when the first just presumed yeast. I lied to both doctors to get Diflucan for me and DD. (I told the Ped. that OB perscribed for me and please perscribe for DD and I told OB that Ped perscribed for DD and please perscribe for me.) It seems that both doctors were more comfortable treating at the suggestion of the other.

I also had a bacterial infection as well. If you start to feel better but plateau, persue that. I was dosed 500mg of Keflex 4 x's daily for 2 weeks.