Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low supply, Possible Thrush, and pumping! HELP!

Unhappy Low supply, Possible Thrush, and pumping! HELP!

Hello,

I am hoping I can get some help and encouragement here. My beautiful daughter is 5 weeks old and is currently bottle-fed expressed breast milk. When she was born, she had a low birth weight (5lbs 5.7ounces) and was given a bottle in the nursery (GRRR!) and since then has never been able to latch for a full feeding. I had a lactation consultation and was told that she had a small mouth, improper suck, my nipples are big, she is a biter, she is used to the instant gratification, and has minor breast aversion. The lactation consultant said she might be able to latch after she gets bigger. Therefore, I have come to terms that I may just have to pump and feed her the breast milk that way.

However, my milk supply seems very low for how far post partum I am. In the morning, I will get an ounce out of each breast and during the day, I get 1 and half ounces combined. My daughter currently takes 3-4 ounces every 3-4 hours (I sometimes have to supplement with formula (cringe!). I pump every 2-3 hours, have tried fenugreek, oatmeal, massaging, warm cloths, showering right before and never seem to get any more. I am afraid that I will have to stop pumping soon to save my sanity.

In addition, I may have thrush. My nipples are pink, sometimes itchy, breasts are warm to touch, small spots on them and I occasionally get a sharp shooting pain in them. My doctor gave me some Nystatin cream but so far not much progress. I am not sure how I would have thrush since she barely latches (she also has no symptoms)…but I did have to take antibiotics for a bladder infection right at delivery.

I also think my flange may be too small, I currently use the 30mm size but my nipples rub against the sides. I tried using the 36mm but the Lactation consultant thought that they may be too big!

I know this is a lot…but I am so ready to give up! HELP!!!

Default Re: Low supply, Possible Thrush, and pumping! HELP!

do try and look up your local leader she can help beter over the phone or in person then we can on-line!
    heres a good link about pumping when baby isn't nursing.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/ma...pply-pump.html
    how many times during the day are you pumping?

sometimes just pumping more often helps with milk supply problems.
    Newborns like to nurse alot sometimes 12 times in 24 hours.

heres a good link too
    http://www.llli.org/FAQ/back.html

heres more info about thursh
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

I average 9-11 times a day. I am also using the Medela PIS Advanced.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebranden View Post
    Hello,I am hoping I can get some help and encouragement here. My beautiful daughter is 5 weeks old

and is currently bottle-fed expressed breast milk. When she was born, she had a low birth weight (5lbs 5.7ounces) and was given a bottle in the nursery (GRRR!) and since then has never been able to latch for a full feeding. I had a lactation consultation and was told that she had a small mouth, improper suck, my nipples are big, she is a biter, she is used to the instant gratification, and has minor breast aversion. The lactation consultant said she might be able to latch after she gets bigger. Therefore, I have come to terms that I may just have to pump and feed her the breast milk that way.

Do know that there are LOTS of ways to encourage your baby to come back to the breast. One of the simplest (and most effective) is skin to skin contact. Below are a few resources you might find helpful:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVDecJan03p123.html

However, my milk supply seems very low for how far post partum I am. In the morning, I will get an ounce out of each breast and during the day, I get 1 and half ounces combined. My daughter currently takes 3-4 ounces every 3-4 hours (I sometimes have to supplement with formula (cringe!). I pump every 2-3 hours, have tried fenugreek, oatmeal, massaging, warm cloths, showering right before and never seem to get any more. I am afraid that I will have to stop pumping soon to save my sanity.

Do you feel that your pump is effective?

Have you tried combining pumping with hand expression? Here's one method that is really making a difference for many mothers:
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

Here's some more info about increasing production:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html

In addition, I may have thrush. My nipples are pink, sometimes itchy, breasts are warm to touch, small spots on them and I occasionally get a sharp shooting pain in them. My doctor gave me some Nystatin cream but so far not much progress. I am not sure how I would have thrush since she barely latches (she also has no symptoms)…but I did have to take antibiotics for a bladder infection right at delivery.
    How would you describe the pain?

When you say "spots", do you mean something that feels like lumps?

Looking at the tips of your nipples, do you see any blisters? White spots?

I also think my flange may be too small, I currently use the 30mm size but my nipples rub against the sides. I tried using the 36mm but the Lactation consultant thought that they may be too big!
    This resource might be helpful:
    http://www.medela.com/newfiles/faq/b...hield_fit.html

Thank you so much for the detailed and encouraging reply!

I would like to think my pump is effective; the lactation consultant I met with said it was the only pump on the market that was capable of emptying the breast (PIS Advanced). I am open to renting a hospital pump as it is very important to me that I am able to continue giving her breastmilk when I return to work on 12/10.

I have tried skin to skin contact on the advice of the lactation consultant and so far have only been successful once (she loves being bundled up and is not fond of being naked; even if I put a blanket over us).

The pain is more of a dry/chapped feeling. There a couple little white spots.

I wonder if I should start trying to use the 36mm again. Although my nipples do rub a little still but not as bad. (They do not make a bigger size.) Could it be that maybe I AM using too big of a size and it is just pulling too much in? Or should you have a lot of 'brown' being pulled in?

Have you been diagnosed definitively w/thrush? If so, make sure your baby is treated too (even if sxs free) or you can pass it back & forth. Take a probiotic (or eat loads of plain, unsweetened yogurt) too. Fyi, thrush can affect how much a baby eats.

Be open to the possibility it's something other than thrush too...consider a presc. for all purpose nipple ointment...that helped me loads (finally thrush-or-whatever free after almost seven weeks) and it covers all the bases.

Milk supply...you mentioned fenugreek, but have you tried a nursing mom's tea? (Yogi makes a nice one.)

Finally, a pediatric chiropractor has helped me w/my son's chomping! (Craniosacral work is supposed to be even better...there just aren't any good ones in our area.)

Good luck! Sorry if this is scattered...typing w/one hand as my son is sleeping in the other!
    Last edited by quilla; November 4th, 2007 at 10:32 PM.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Anything you can give your daughter is great! Good job, mom!

Nothing to add here, just that I could have written your entire post myself. I'm on fluconazole and it doesn't really seem to be touching the itchiness either. Tonight I tried gentian violet. The pump (mine is the hospital rental) does a rotten job imo, esp since the "thrush" or whatever it is seems to make the nipples swell more. Mine actually turn purple. I think I should try the 36m flange, but it seems like it will be ridiculously huge, kwim? But on the 30's I can actually hand-express after hte pump runs dry...

So tired of this. Hard to believe sometimes that it's worth it.