Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How thick is your ebm fat ring?

Default How thick is your ebm fat ring?

My sister came to visit the other day and when she went to put ebm in my fridge she remarked on how thick the ring of "fat" was in the bottle of ebm from the previous day. She said hers was never that thick and couldn't believe how skinny dd was drinking such super rich milk/cream! After the milk settles and starts to seperate I usually have about 3/4 to 1' thick ring of fat floating at the top of my ameda breastmilk storage bottles (full 4 oz bottles) of course when I put them in the bottles (advent) it is thinner. How thick is your fat ring?
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Default Re: How thick is your ebm fat ring?

Mine it varied a lot. I don't remember how thick it actually was, and I didn't use bottles I used bags. Sometimes I barely had a ring, sometimes it was very thick.

And now that summer weather is hitting most areas in the northern hemisphere, watch and see if you see changes! Hotter weather tells your body that baby needs more water so you may see less fat and will almost certainly see the general 'thickness' or opacity of the milk looking different! There have been studies that showed that milk from women in very cold climates (i *think* the study highlighted Iceland??) pretty consistently appeared richer than milk from moms in tropical subsaharn climates! This all goes right to the suggestions that you don't need to give your newborns/infants supplemental water if you EBF in hot weather... The body is pretty darn smart and takes care of it's wee ones!!
    jsmom (the perpetual geek, sorry )

I wondered why mine was less lately! It's been 80s and 90s here for 2 weeks.

Isn't that totally cool?? I noticed this a year ago and mentioned to an IBCLC I was working with when we were discussion milk supply issues in general and she explained the concept. I was blown away and even more convinced of the awesome power and nature of the body taking care of its offspring!! You'd never get to see this part if you didn't pump, which is why it's worth mentioning. It really does help convince you that you don't need to 'add water'!
    Jsmom

That is too cool ! I will have to watch to see if it gets thinner, I live in Texas so it has already been hot for a while, but I can't remember how thick the ring was during the winter, I think that may have been when it was more around 1 inch. How great are our bodies!
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Pazygozo is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

hmmmm... even in the colder months, I would get only about 1/4 inch of fat on a 4oz bottle (standard size) of EBM. He's healthy (50th percentile), so I'm gonna try really hard not to worry. Anyone else have 1/4 inch fat rings?

Quite often mine are only 1/4. Sometimes more, sometimes less. At the very beginning of BF, just after delivery, I was pretty emaciated after a very difficult pregnancy (only gained 10 lbs; sick the entire time) and post partum ecclampsia, etc., etc. My DS's pediatrician actually 'prescribed' me a diet of Hagen Daaz ice cream 2x per day until I got a little stronger and my milk got a little richer! Are you eating a healthy, balance diet that has good protein, fruit, vege, healthy fats content?? Are you vegetarian (I am, so can offer some off-line input if you need) or vegan? Any other health issues??
    If you baby is growing well - and that's the real factor to consider - probably nothing to worry about, though...
    jsmom

Mine are really thick (deep?) -- in 4 oz. bottle nearly 3.5oz. will appear to be cream, and I get a lot of clots on my innards (I use Dr. Brown's). I figure this is why DD eats so little -- 16-20oz. -- and still remains healthy (good weight gain, good diapers, no health problems, knock wood). She's not chubby, either -- long and lean (50th percentile weight, 97th percentile height).

Smile Re: How thick is your ebm fat ring?

I usually only pump about 2.5 oz at a time, enough to mix with cereal for breakfast and supper. The fatty ring changes all the time depending on when I pump. If I pump right after he has nursed, it is usually thicker because it is mostly hindmilk. If I pump awhile after he has eaten, it's normally thinner. But generally it is only about 1/4".

Deb