Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Still exclusively breastfeeding....

Default Still exclusively breastfeeding....

I posted awhile back about my son who was then 8 months old still exclusively breastfeeding... well he is going on 11 months, and will be a year in December and he is still exclusively nursing, he refuses solids of any sorts... once in a blue moon he will take a biter bisquit, but thats about it, and its rare. He still wakes up at least 3 times a night to nurse. Is this ok? Shouldnt he be on solids by now or soon? I cant force him, nor do I want to, and I want to continue nursing until he weans himself, but with the night feedings, and the feedings every 2-3 hrs during the day, it feels like I have a newborn and Im exhausted!! Hes been on a newborns schedule since birth.... any suggestions, ideas, advice, anyone with a similiar experience?

Default Re: Still exclusively breastfeeding....

Could you tell us more about what you've tried with solids? Purees? Finger foods? Spoon? Let LO self feed?
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I've tried pured, finger foods, cut up fruit really small so he could self feed, cut up toast, pastas, he refuses it all.... he wont even open his mouth if I try to feed him, not the slightest... shows no interest... so I thought perhaps he wants to self feed, so I tried things like cheerios, and cut up fruits really small, toast, and a few others, and he shows no interest in any of it.... he doesnt like applesauce, or pureed bananas, or cut up bananas.... the thing is, he wont even try it.. he will pick it up, and put it to his face, but never in his mouth... and if he does happen to get a bit in his mouth he gags and makes this face like it was just the worst thing ever and spits it out......

What kinds of solids are you trying? Are you trying to feed him or let him feed himself?

DS was/is a terrible eater. He really didn't take any solids (besides cherrios) until he was 14 mos old. I have figured out that he has an issue with wet foods. He likes dry things - so he's never taken pureed foods ect.

Until he did start eating some food he nursed every 2hrs around the clock. I let him. I figured he needed the calories since he was SO active and not yet eating solids. I see nothing wrong with continuing to nurse your LO on demand.

Keep offering a WIDE variety of ALL KINDS of foods. Someday, he'll find something he likes and then you can build on that.

I understand you're frustration. DS is almost 19 mos and we still struggle with the solids intake most days.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

There is NOTHING wrong with exclusively breastfeeding the 1st year. The 1st year of solids should not take away from breastmilk anyway. It's more for experimenting & learning that actual nutrition (or ideally it should be)

And I might I suggest baby-led weaning introduction to solids. It is AWESOME!!! I made homemade baby food with my 1st but did BLW with #2 and if we have anymore it's BLW all the way. My 11 month old eats what we eat (with the exception of high risk foods as I call them, choking hazards & allergy potential foods==nuts, strawberries, ect)

It is soooo easy. We can go anywhere and not take a bottle, or jars of food, I don't mash foods, he can eat off my plate, it's the best!!

http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html Babyled weaning guidelines

http://babyledweaning.blogware.com/ check out this blog by mom who used this method
    Last edited by Sonita; October 31st, 2007 at 10:43 AM. Reason: added link

One more thought......
    Does he sit with you at the table while you're eating? That's the only way we can get Lucas to try something new, is if he watches us eating it.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001